ArcGIS Pro Legend Bug - Items disappear when second data frame is added.

Jump to solution
12-06-2017 02:25 AM
JoeNunn
Occasional Contributor

I have a Layout set up with a legend with many features linked to the Main data frame, that i spent a lot of time setting up.  I then added a second data frame to use as an overview map.  The legend still says it is pointing at the main data frame but it seems to have lost all items in the legend layers list.  The Legend is now empty (it is not like they have been unticked - there are no items there).

Is there a way of adding items back into the legend?  

See screenshot of legend with no items but still pointing to main data frame?

Nothing under legend in TOC

Legend Properties pointing to main data frame. Legend Items Greyed out.

38 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

More legend woes: 

1. When I change the layer name, note how, if I don't click out of the "Label" Dialogue in the Symbology properties, instead, just closing it, the label change doesn't stick

2. When succesfully

changing a layer name, the legend doesn't pick it up until I select the legend element. 

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Tom, 

I cannot reproduce the issue above - the Contents pane (map view) & Legend are not registering a change to a layer's label. There could be something I'm missing.  Could you pass this along to technical support?

Thanks, 

Tom

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Tom Colson - thanks for the video and especially for the text commentary. There are a number of things going on here. I'll use the timestamp to organize the issues below.

@ 1:30 – “Why are there no legend items when I inserted the legend?”

This is expected behavior. Though we may need to review for a better user experience.

When you changed the basemap the new basemap gets selected. The layout read this as the selected layer.  When layers are selected (in an Active Layout) and you insert a legend only the selected layers are included in the new legend. In this case a basemap layer is selected which does not have any valid legend so the legend is blank.

If you had added a feature layer (ex: state boundary) to the map and then added a legend the legend would only show the state boundary – i.e. the selected layer map layer in the Contents pane (Layout view active). We do this to support the use case where you only want to create a legend for specific layers in your map. You do this by selecting layers (in the Active layout view Content pane). Unfortunately, a side effect of this is that when you add a new layer it is the selected layer.

Pro Tip: Before adding a legend select the Map Frame it belongs to in the Contents pane, then insert the legend.  This should avoid having any layers selected. 

As the video shows @ 3:05 by switching the source map frame back and forth you can "refresh" the legend.

@ 3:19 - Legend goes blank after toggling layer visibility

Not able to reproduce. May be related to Bug #1

So far, I have not been able to reproduce this, but I suspect that there is a refresh issue due to the legend getting out of sync with the map. I believe this happens once the order in the Contents pane for legend and map frames change. See Bug #1.

@ 5:13 - Move legend after adding a new map frame (different map) and then changing the source map a number of times results in invalid legend items.

I CAN reproduce this. BUG #1.

This may be related to another BUG where the legend items or the map frame/map items disappear after reordering the Legend or Map Frame in the Contents Pane. We are currently looking into this.

@ 6:50 “Turn off one legend item, note how all are removed?”

Not able to reproduce.

It think that this is likely another manifestation of the previous “reorder” bug above. The element is “out-of sync” with the map.

@8:11“Change maps in the map frame, now my extent is gone?”

I CAN reproduce this. BUG #2.

A re-sourced map frame should zoom to the full custom extent of the new source map.  The zoom is not occurring. We will look into this.

@10:54 “remove 2nd frame, turn legend off, then on….legend gone!”

I CAN reproduce this. Most likely due to BUG #1.

Looks like the legend is getting out of sync when the source map of the additional map frame is being switched back and forth (and at one point includes the map that the legend points to). I believe this issue is another symptom of the core issue that is causing the other legend bugs.

A lot going on here.  I did not go through every item in this thread. I would encourage anyone reading this that feel they have an issue that is different than the one's Tom has shown in his video and that I have addressed above to take this this issue to technical support. They are better equipped to handle troubleshooting steps and gather bug data. They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support.

Thanks, 

Tom

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Tom Bole As a formality, I logged a couple of cases on this, as there may need to be some additional screen sharing in order to repro the things you said you couldn't repro.

TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Thomas, 

Sorry It has taken a bit to respond to this.  Have you contacted technical support to follow up on the issue that I could not reproduce? 

Tom

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Got it.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
ErikEngstrom
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you for confirming the bug. I cannot see the bug report, but from the title, it sounds like what I was experiencing.

0 Kudos
ErikEngstrom
Occasional Contributor II

This happened to me... 

My steps were simply going back to the map frame and I renamed a layer. I went back to my layout and 2 of the 3 legends had all of the items removed from the legend items. Undoing the renaming of the layer did not fix the issue. I had to remove both of the affected legend items and re-add the legends... This was a painpoint due to the customization of the legend appearance items.