ArcGIS Pro Legend Bug - Items disappear when second data frame is added.

Jump to solution
12-06-2017 02:25 AM
JoeNunn
Occasional Contributor

I have a Layout set up with a legend with many features linked to the Main data frame, that i spent a lot of time setting up.  I then added a second data frame to use as an overview map.  The legend still says it is pointing at the main data frame but it seems to have lost all items in the legend layers list.  The Legend is now empty (it is not like they have been unticked - there are no items there).

Is there a way of adding items back into the legend?  

See screenshot of legend with no items but still pointing to main data frame?

Nothing under legend in TOC

Legend Properties pointing to main data frame. Legend Items Greyed out.

38 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Peter - sorry you're running into an issue packaging.  Are you able to create a map package rather than a project package?  And then a separate pagx file?  Just wondering if there is any way for us to get a better idea of the actual map and layout structures so we can investigate.

Thanks

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Kory,

I did the Map Package process and separate layout file - ended up with 2 x 1GB files for each of the maps.

I don’t see how I can send them to you though as they are way too big for me to send through my works network.

Would they upload to ArcGIS On-line?

Peter

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Please email me at kkramer@esri.com so that I can set up an ftp site for you to transfer files.

Cheers

0 Kudos
MelissaJohnson
Occasional Contributor II

This is also happening to me...Very frustrating!  No matter what I try, delete and replace etc only the first item shows up and I get an ellipses at the bottom of my legend frame like there is more that doesn't fit, but when I expand the frame there is nothing there!

*Update - When I go into Format Legend - Arrangement under Word Wrapping the Labels and Descriptions were unchecked.  When I checked them the items finally showed up.

0 Kudos
HelenCooper
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Melissa,

I eventually got a workaround by changing the properties of the legend to switch it to the wrong data frame, and then switching it back again.  Not exactly elegant, but it might help a bit?

Helen

0 Kudos
JanRapp
New Contributor

I do have the same problem. any workarounds apart from changing the map frame? because by changing the map frame it will restore the item formatting. I would like to mention that this problem only occurs when there is more than one map frame in a layout 

0 Kudos
Thomas_Z1
New Contributor III

I have a similar issue. I create a new layout from previously created layout template file with two map frames, then I want to point the keymap map frame to an existing keymap, I don't want them duplicated. Doing so, my legend is gone respectively not anymore formatted and with configuration gone.

Same thing happens if I change a property (for example changing a background). It always ends with having my legend(s) screwed up. Any solution or is it fixed with a newer version?

I use ArcGIS Pro 2.2.4 (unfortunately an update to ArcGIS Pro 2.3.x is not yet rolled out within the organisation).

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

@Kory_Kramer not sure if this is the exact problem the OP is reporting, but I am able to repro some of the behaviors described in this thread, 2, in fact. Not sure I'll open a case on this as we have a few higher priority cases in the hopper, and I typically don't use two map frames. 

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Some additional steps to repro in 2.3.1. There's a couple of things going on here, but the bug (this is clearly a bug) seems to relate to what Layout Element is selected (has mouse focus) and the order in which things are turned off or on. Me thinks that if there is mouse focus on the second map frame element, and you start doing things with the first map frame and/or legend by right-clicking -> properties, things go whacko. 

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Thank you (as always), Tom for the details.  Tom Bole‌ can you take a look at this please?

0 Kudos