ArcGIS Pro Legend Bug - Items disappear when second data frame is added.

Jump to solution
12-06-2017 02:25 AM
JoeNunn
Occasional Contributor

I have a Layout set up with a legend with many features linked to the Main data frame, that i spent a lot of time setting up.  I then added a second data frame to use as an overview map.  The legend still says it is pointing at the main data frame but it seems to have lost all items in the legend layers list.  The Legend is now empty (it is not like they have been unticked - there are no items there).

Is there a way of adding items back into the legend?  

See screenshot of legend with no items but still pointing to main data frame?

Nothing under legend in TOC

Legend Properties pointing to main data frame. Legend Items Greyed out.

38 Replies
JoeNunn
Occasional Contributor

Great thanks for finding a solution Michael!  have ignored it for quite a few months! 

0 Kudos
JulieDePasquale
New Contributor

This fixed it! Thanks!

0 Kudos
HughRound1
New Contributor II

Avoid having layers with the same name in Data Frames helps. But we still have this issue.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hugh Round‌, Stephen Ruhl‌, Joseph NunnMichael Johansson‌ can somebody provide a step by step repro case?

From the original post 

I have a Layout set up with a legend with many features linked to the Main data frame, that i spent a lot of time setting up.  I then added a second data frame to use as an overview map.  The legend still says it is pointing at the main data frame but it seems to have lost all items in the legend layers list.  The Legend is now empty (it is not like they have been unticked - there are no items there).

Xander Bakker‌ wasn't able to reproduce from that description. 

He asked me to look and I'm not able to reproduce.  

Are there certain steps that consistently cause legend items to disappear?  As an example:

1. Add a map to an 8.5 X 11in landscape layout.

2. Add a legend.

3. Add the same map to the layout.

4. BUG: Notice that legend items disappear. 

Is everybody now using ArcGIS Pro 2.1.2 and still seeing this behavior?

Could you send a project package (the smallest example possible, does this happen with as few as 1 layer, 2 layers, etc.)?  Please email to kkramer@esri.com

Thanks

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Using ArcGIS Pro 2.2.0 - Legend disappeared on me as well - I found that the work around mentioned above worked ie. the legend reappeared.  Unfortunately I don't know what steps I took to get the error to occur in the first place.  Previous projects have only had one map frame and no dramas.  

0 Kudos
HelenCooper
Occasional Contributor III

Hi all (and hi Joseph Nunn‌!)

I keep getting the same issue - it's highly annoying!  I'm using ArcGIS Pro 2.1.2 and the workaround described above doesn't seem to work for me.  Is there no way of adding layers back into a legend, to avoid having to set up the style again?

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Peter.  We've reached out on this thread before to see if anybody reporting the issue is able to share steps that demonstrate the behavior.  So far, nobody has been able to do that.  If you or Melissa Johnson‌ (who said she ran into this today) could please share steps (screen shots are incredibly helpful; gifs or videos are even more helpful; or sharing a project package where the behavior is occurring) it would help us see what is happening and troubleshoot. 

If either of you could send project packages of a project that demonstrates the behavior, that would be great.

It may be worth noting that ArcGIS Pro 2.3 was released yesterday so you could upgrade and see if the behavior still occurs.  

Have either of you contacted technical support to investigate?  While GeoNet is awesome and the community is very helpful, if a legend disappears from your layout, tech support might be a good option!

Thanks in advance for anything you can provide.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Xander,

I haven’t had to create a project with a second data frame since my post.

I re-opened the project I was using when the problem occurred and the legend was missing. I didn’t do anything other than open the project and click on the layout tab.

I have attached a pdf of the map produced from the project on 9 Jan 2019.

How can I send you a copy of the project package. I am currently in the process of saving it to my ArcGIS On-line account.

Tech support was not called.

I can’t upgrade to ArcGIS Pro 2.3 because our Department supplies the software and they have only rolled out 2.1 one at this stage for general use with some of us now reviewing 2.2 performance of the Depts network etc.

Regards

Peter Naske

Senior Ranger – Native Forest Audit Co-ordinator

QPWS - Bundaberg

Department of Environment and Science

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Peter, if it isn't too large you can email the project package to kkramer@esri.com

If that doesn't work, email me and I'll set up an ftp file transfer site.

Thank you!

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Kory,

Tried all of yesterday to package the project but each time it failed.

I got the error message - “external sharing process failed”

I will need to talk to our IT people to look at my install before I can get anything to you – will most likely take a few days.

I will try again after I have had my software install checked.

Peter

0 Kudos