ArcGIS Pro: Is there a way to 'Add Data' a csv file from the web using its associated URL?

Jump to solution
06-01-2017 02:45 PM
SamyBouma_Ngock1
New Contributor III

AGO is very good at 'adding layer from the web' for a csv file provided the URL path.

But is there the equivalent in ArcGIS Pro? I cannot figure it out.

Thanks.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Basically, I don't think you can, at least not in the way I think you are wanting to do it.

Adding a dataset from a path is fairly poorly documented:  Add layers and layer packages to a map—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop .  The documentation simply says, "Type the path or URL to the dataset," and the examples they provide aren't much help because they cover a few simple, common situations.

Using the "add data from path" dialog or ArcPy Mapping functionality, you can add a CSV using a filesystem type of path, e.g., C:\temp\file.csv; however, accessing the same file using a URL type of path fails, e.g., file:///C:/temp/file.csv .  So, loading CSVs into ArcGIS Pro from a path is supported, partially, it just has to be a filesystem path and not a URL.  Where is this type of handy information documented?  Well, sort of in the link that Dan supplies.  The user is supposed to infer that CSV URLs are not supported while CSV files are because the former isn't listed under "Services" but the latter is listed under "Data stored in files."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The list of supported data types and items is in that link, perhaps it may offer some clues.

SamyBouma_Ngock1
New Contributor III

Thank you Dan for the direction.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Basically, I don't think you can, at least not in the way I think you are wanting to do it.

Adding a dataset from a path is fairly poorly documented:  Add layers and layer packages to a map—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop .  The documentation simply says, "Type the path or URL to the dataset," and the examples they provide aren't much help because they cover a few simple, common situations.

Using the "add data from path" dialog or ArcPy Mapping functionality, you can add a CSV using a filesystem type of path, e.g., C:\temp\file.csv; however, accessing the same file using a URL type of path fails, e.g., file:///C:/temp/file.csv .  So, loading CSVs into ArcGIS Pro from a path is supported, partially, it just has to be a filesystem path and not a URL.  Where is this type of handy information documented?  Well, sort of in the link that Dan supplies.  The user is supposed to infer that CSV URLs are not supported while CSV files are because the former isn't listed under "Services" but the latter is listed under "Data stored in files."

0 Kudos
SamyBouma_Ngock1
New Contributor III

Thanks Joshua. I know now that I have not overthought it.
It would be conveniently great to have the ArcGIS Online way implemented in ArcGIS Pro then.

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Samy

May I ask if the functionality you are asking for is 'web as a file system', like browsing web file storage technologies as if they are filesystem?  This functionality will be available with the Data Interoperability extension at ArcGIS 10.5.1 and ArcGIS Pro 2.0.  If you would like this capability to be in core ArcGIS then please create an idea at https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-ideas for people to vote on, and provide your scenarios.

Regards

0 Kudos
SamyBouma_Ngock1
New Contributor III

Hi Bruce

I am not sure how you would call this functionality in AGOL, but the following shows what I'm talking about.

add csv from web

Although ArcGIS Pro offers to 'add data from path/URL', the functionality fails to add csv files from web URLs.

add cvs from path arcgispro

Thanks for suggesting to post the scenario in ArcGIS Ideas.

However, I'll wait for the next releases of Desktop and Pro and go from there.
In the meantime, I'll keep download my CSV from the web and add it in Pro.

Regards