ArcGIS Pro is terribly slow. Even closing takes many minutes

07-05-2021 12:28 PM
Labels (1)
LaurieKurilla1
New Contributor III

I really like ArcGIS Pro, but it is too slow. Even exiting takes MANY minutes, more than 10!   If I have a very simple aprx with very few features, all is good. But that is now what ArcGIS is used for. I am running on a DELL XPS 15 7590, intel core i7-9750, 2.6 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 64-bit windows os, ArcGIS Pro 2.8.  Shutting down is taking up 48% - 50%of my CPU and 52% of RAM.    

I also find that ArcGIS seems to lose 'pointers' to the data.  That is, when updating fields by renaming them, or doing calcs on them, the results will not show unless I save AND exit and then reopen the .aprx.  This happens with many changes, even with deleting or removing features.  I have seen all of these behaviors in every version from 2.4 and up.

All of these behaviors happen in every .aprx (again unless I create a really simple one with hardly any features, etc.).  Because of these longstanding problems I break up my projects into many more .aprxs then I wish to or is really reasonable, just trying to work around these issues.  I find that I have to close all other apps, such as Excel, to get even a little bit of better performance from ArcGIS.  

I know you usually want us to send a sample files but there are MANY posts about the problems with  performance of ArcGIS Pro, so I think it is safe to say it is not a function of who and what is being done.  

I hope your developers will delve into the guts of the operations and work with real-world (large and complex) examples to research and resolve the overall performance problems with ArcGIS Pro.

Thank you

8 Replies
MattWilkie1
Occasional Contributor II

Yep, Pro is painfully slow for me too and has been for several versions.  I have https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/pro-performance-tool-overview.htm bookmarked as a I-really-should-go-through-that item for when I'm not overloaded with work and have time and requisite mental space to learn something new.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor
LaurieKurilla1
New Contributor III

Thank you Dan. I will follow up when I am back in town in to weeks. 

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

@LaurieKurilla1 Sorry that you're experiencing performance issues.  If you have run through the troubleshooting guide that Dan posted, could you please share a screenshot of the 'Check your computer's ability to run Pro...' test?

And run the Pro Performance Assessment Tool - what do your results look like?

That is a start and really is just to ensure that the hardware is up to spec and is functioning properly.  Beyond that, further troubleshooting will be necessary, either starting with the troubleshooting guide or by calling technical support.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
BradleyThompson1
Esri Contributor

@LaurieKurilla1 Piggy-backing off of Kory's post to stress the importance of it - please do complete a run of the PAT at the very least, with a best case scenario being to work through his entire blog posted earlier in the thread. PAT results will give us a strong foundation to work off of if we need to carry this further/into technical support. 

LaurieKurilla1
New Contributor III

Will do.  It's been so frustrating for so long. Thank you

0 Kudos
LaurieKurilla1
New Contributor III

Thank you for the response. I will follow up when I return in two weeks. 

JohnGallop
New Contributor II

...still waiting for her return...

0 Kudos