ArcGIS Pro is not letting me connect to PG_ADMIN database

02-12-2018 08:50 AM
GeorgeJones
New Contributor II

Hey all, I currently have PostgresSQL set up and was just wondering why Pro was not letting me connect with the pg-admin database. Wondering why this was happening. i've called ESRI tech support and told me that "The I will need to upgrade the database to version 9.6.3 (64 bit) in order to connect to the database in the current version of ArcGIS Pro (2.1.1). If upgrading to ArcMap 10.6, the database upgrade to 9.6.3 (64 bit) will also be necessary". i know what this means but have no idea how to go about upgrading it( or how to connect the Pg_admin DB into ArcPro). 

how my database connection in Pro is set up

any advice? thanks 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

If you need to upgrade the PostgreSQL DB version to 9.6.3 then here is some documentation: PostgreSQL: Documentation: 9.6: Upgrading a PostgreSQL Cluster 

Here is the Esri documentation on the version of PostgreSQL supported at ArcGIS Pro 2.1.x: PostgreSQL database requirements for ArcGIS Pro 2.1—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

One question: In your screenshot you have the Instance name = gis.aberdeen.sd.us 

Is this a machine on your local network or via the internet?

Can you sign into the PostgreSQL DB via PGAdmin from your local machine?

https://community.esri.com/groups/geodatabase?sr=search&searchId=63b46a7c-bab8-4d1f-a22b-c9e1319663c...

--- George T.
GeorgeJones
New Contributor II

that is the instance of the server in pg_admin. Yes- i can sign into the local PostgreSQL DB on my machine. 

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

What version of PostgreSQL are you currently using?

The upgrade is not necessary, if you are already using a supported version for ArcGIS Pro\ ArcGIS Desktop.

PostgreSQL database requirements for ArcGIS 10.6—System Requirements | ArcGIS Desktop  (ArcGIS Desktop)

PostgreSQL database requirements for ArcGIS Pro 2.1—Help | ArcGIS Desktop  (ArcGIS Pro)

Minimum supported database versions

The following versions of PostgreSQL and PostGIS are supported with ArcGIS. The specific versions listed are the minimum minor version supported and certified for each supported major release of PostgreSQL. Newer minor versions are supported, but are not certified.

• PostgreSQL 9.6.3 (64 bit)
    • PostGIS 2.3
  • PostgreSQL 9.5.3 (64 bit)
    • PostGIS 2.2
  • PostgreSQL 9.4.8 (64 bit)
    • PostGIS 2.2

If you are using a database version, which is higher than the base version mentioned above, you are already on a supported PostgreSQL version.

0 Kudos
GeorgeJones
New Contributor II

i think its because i upgrade to windows 10. I have PostGresSQL 10 now and it still won't let me connect. 

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

PostgreSQL 10 is not a supported database version..PostgreSQL database requirements for ArcGIS Pro 2.1—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

PostgreSQL 9.6.3 (64 bit) is highest base version supported by ArcGIS Pro...

I use Pro on Windows 10, so that shouldn't be an issue...ArcGIS Pro 2.1 system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop