ArcGIS Pro Field Calculator is not working with a double field

Jump to solution
06-01-2024 01:34 AM
Labels (2)
Salit
by
New Contributor II

ArcGIS Pro version 3.2.2.

I am trying to use Field Calculator on a point feature class, which was generated from a Kriging raster dataset using the GA Layer To Points tool. When I multiply the "Error" Field with self to get a squared error, I get a warning saying the table has no records and to use the Get Count tool, which is no help. Additionally, exporting the feature class as a shapefile results in an empty shapefile (with no records, ie., rows). Here is a screenshot:

error_pro.png

Interestingly, if I run the same process in ArcMap 10.8, it works. This leads to the question, is there a bug in ArcGIS Pro? I appreciate a way around it. TIA

Update: I updated the ArcGIS Pro to 3.3. It still fails to calculate the fields. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Salit
by
New Contributor II

The issue was with the Processing Extent set in Environments. In an earlier step, I created a model using ModelBuilder and set its processing extent to one of the layers used in the ModelBuilder. For Kriging, I started a new Map view but I did not realize that setting processing extent in ModelBuilder gets applied/carried to all Map views.

I accessed the Environments (Geoprocessing) from Command Search and reset the processing extent; it worked. Here are screenshots of solutions.

Screenshot1: Accessing Environments settings from Command search:

error_pro1.png

Screenshot2: Resetting Processing extent in Environments settings:

error_pro2.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Salit
by
New Contributor II

The issue was with the Processing Extent set in Environments. In an earlier step, I created a model using ModelBuilder and set its processing extent to one of the layers used in the ModelBuilder. For Kriging, I started a new Map view but I did not realize that setting processing extent in ModelBuilder gets applied/carried to all Map views.

I accessed the Environments (Geoprocessing) from Command Search and reset the processing extent; it worked. Here are screenshots of solutions.

Screenshot1: Accessing Environments settings from Command search:

error_pro1.png

Screenshot2: Resetting Processing extent in Environments settings:

error_pro2.png

0 Kudos
chill_gis_dude
New Contributor III

Saw your post on stack exchange...

I manage an ArcGIS Enterprise deployment and we have noticed similar issues after upgrading to Pro 3.0 and higher and have completely gone back to 2.9.

We have models that run weekly to do select by locations and then calculate the geometry (acreage) of those selected polygons and have noticed that it is calculating erroneous acreages inconsistently. An obvious 20 or 40 acre polygon being calculated as 6 acres etc.

We have also noticed similar issues with field calculator where we are just calculating field3 to be a simple concatenation of field1 and field2 and have noticed that it pulls in data from other fields not even referenced in the expression. 

We've pretty much lost all faith in the field calculator and calculate geometry tools, two of the most important tools in Pro. Its like buying a calculator and the "+" not working correctly every time. Trying to get them logged as bugs but the issues are very hard to reproduce. 

Our layers are stored in an enterprise geodatabase driven by SQL Server 2016.