Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro fails to connect to the “root” hard drive (D partition),

Jump to solution
06-06-2015 12:15 PM
GeomolgPortal
New Contributor II

ArcGIS Pro fails to connect to the “root” hard drive (D partition),

I couldn’t figure out why the ArcGIS Pro fails to connect to the “root” hard drive (D partition) the same way the ArcMap does.

What might be the issue here?

Thank you

Best

Jamal

Clip_226.jpg

34 Replies
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

For me, I’m still waiting such enhancement. We can’t live without being able to connect to the root. We are now in Pro 2.0 and it is not there

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

At ArcGIS Pro BETA 2.1, you cannot connect to the root directory.  In the BETA help it states, "ArcGIS Pro does not support adding folder connections to the project that access the root node of any disk, for example, C:\ or D:\."

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

This appears not to be fixed even in 2.3. it fails to connect to the rood drive C:\ or D:\

Does this mean that I need to connect to each single folder in the D:\ to be able to access it? Waste of time and efforts?

Jamal Numan
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Jamal - in fact this has been fixed for 2.3 AGP.  From the File Explorer, drag your C: drive to the Folders item in the Catalog Pane and release.  Now you have root access to the C: drive or any other drive for that matter.

RootDrive

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Many thanks Robert

This is great that we can now connect to the root drive!

Two points:

1) Why do I need to drag\drop from Windows explorer to Pro? Why the Pro is not able to connect itself to the root drive without the need to drag\drop. ArcMap used to connect to the root without the need to drag\drop

2) Pro loses the connection with the root each time new aprx file is created! ArcMap preserves the connection all the time

Jamal Numan
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Jamal - great to hear!  Connect away!  So with regard to your 2 points:

1.  Not sure as to the why it's done this way.  Perhaps an AGP Developer watching this thread can chime in.

2.  If you want AGP to remember the root drive always in new *.aprx's, right click on the C: root drive and select Add to New Projects.  Then every time you create a new project, the C: drive is there.  You can also create favorites using the same workflow of a right-click and select Add to Favorites.  Then in the Catalog Pane towards the top, click Favorites to the right of Portal and to the left of History and select those folder/connections you wish to see in the *.aprx.

Best!

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Many thanks for the prompt help.

The “add to new projects” tool keep the root drives connected in the new created aprx.

Hope that the developers can take care of point one

Jamal Numan
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Any idea why this isn't supported?

I have a theory.

I would suspect this is not supported because placing files on windows root drives (esp local drives) is a security risk. Malware can be placed on the root folder that can be executed on Windows boot.  For this reason, many secure group policies require elevated privileges to create files on the root folder or share the root drive folder. Probably not a risk for remote shares (like S:\) as long as the local path of the share is not a root folder, so it's good there is a workaround.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

We have been connecting to the D:\ drive in ArcMap since ages and never faced security issue. Connecting to the root makes it much easier to navigate and makes the work decent

Jamal Numan
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

This is not implemented in 2.4.1. One can't just connect to the drive (like c:\ or d:\)

Jamal Numan