ArcGIS Pro - Excel Lat Longs not plotting correctly, merging to one point

06-21-2019 01:28 AM
VictorLejona
New Contributor

Hello, i'm having issues whilst attempting to import a number of lat longs stored in an excel worksheet, to plot them in Arc GIS pro.

When attempting to plot say 600 points, they will arbitrarily (to my mind) all be placed at one of the lat longs, so i will have all 600 points at one lat long.

I can get it to work with lots of copy pasting into new sheets, trying csv, xlsx etc, but there seems to be no logical reason as to why it will work or not work, and i have wasted numerous hours fiddling with excel sheets to get them to import.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Can you show us what your Lat/Longs look like please

VictorLejona
New Contributor

I should clarify that this data is successfully imported, but it failed for a good 30 mins. I started with an .xlsx sheet, tried .csv, cleared all formatting etc. Eventually it worked as a .xlsx sheet, no changes made to column names, tab name etc, there is no issue with the data (spaces etc).

0 Kudos
VictorLejona
New Contributor

the same issue occurred with this data, it merged all lat longs the first 3 times i tried to upload it, i made no changes, it didn't merge on the 4th attempt and plotted correctly.

0 Kudos
VictorLejona
New Contributor

I managed to get it to repeat

All locations are showing grouped on the lat long at castleford.

0 Kudos