ArcGIS Pro does not render large point featureclass

06-02-2016 12:43 AM
erichfisher
New Contributor II

Hi Folks,

I am exploring ArcGIS Pro by migrating many of my projects from ArcScene into ArcGIS.  The data are all stored in File Geodatabases.  I'm having the most issues displaying and manipulating our largest point file, which has ~300,000 points within a fairly narrow 3D space (vertically and laterally).

I've created a test ArcGIS Pro local scene using the South Africa National Grid Coordinate System, which accords with our data.  Usually only a fragment of the data render when I addthe point file and the "Drawing" icon spins continuously.  I've reset the cache and the file still fails to render fully.  I have noticed on a few occasions that if I close the project and reopen it then the point file will render fully upon restarting the program.  However, if the entire point file shows then I am almost unable to rotate the scene, which becomes very slow and buggy.

I can render and manipulate the same point file in ArcScene and ArcMap without issue, but I would really like to begin using ArcGIS Pro because of the advanced 3D capabilities.  Is there some way I can improve the rendering of ArcGIS Pro vector point features?  I have turned the display quality settings to their lowest values, updated my display drivers, reset the layer caches etc.  I'm now at a loss about what else to do?  Can I import a feature class into an LAS dataset perhaps?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here are my system settings:

Dell Precision 5510

Xeon 1505 Processor

16 GB memory

Nvidia Quadro M1000M

ArcGIS 10.4 with ArcGIS Pro 1.2

Cheers,

Erich

13 Replies
ChristopherBrown
New Contributor II

Yep having the same "frustrating" issues!

Have a Local Scene projected to MGA Zone 50, GDA94 and using a File Geodatabase Raster Dataset, Cell Size 1mx1m, Uncompressed Size 368.15 MB, LZ77 Compressed Elevation source. ArcGIS Server Image Service is draped on the surface.

When the Project file is opened all it does is constantly spin the Drawing with absolutely zero response?

Searching Google with "why are ArcGIS Pro Local Scenes so slow?" came up with your (erich) Geonet thread but nothing from Esri?

This is using a high spec workstation with SSD, Nvidia GC and 32GB Ram!!

Wondering if this could be related to Local Scene and Projected datasets?

Chris

0 Kudos
erichfisher
New Contributor II

Hi Chris,

Since my first post I have been testing the limits of ArcGIS Pro on this issue and I also don't think it is related necessarily to hardware (my workstation specs, at least, far exceed all min requirements). 

Have you seen rendering improvements if you converted your raster data to another coordinate system and projection?  I haven't tried that myself.  In the meantime, I have been testing out different FGDB point data sets in our local projection (South Africa National Grid) to see if there was a threshold after which the performance decreased.  I've found that point files of 10,000 - ~30,000 points render well and I haven't had too much issue with performance except when I need to adjust the symbology and then things get bogged down for a bit.  I am unsure though if the symbology issue is related to the overall performance of the large point files or just an added complication!  It takes upwards of a half an hour to render our entire point set, if it works at all and then the rendering is still very slow and jumpy.

On a related note, I have also tried converting my points to an LAS data set.  The points do render quickly, but so far I have found no way to associate our non-spatial attribute data to the points (we have extensive attributes that must be associated with each point).

Regardless, the issue is very frustrating.  ArcGIS Pro seems to have so much potential and I keep testing it out in the hopes of finding a way to make things work, but for now I am staying with ArcScene which, despite being a bit long in the tooth, remains unmatched IMO for rendering and analyzing local 3D data regardless of scene extent, coord system, or projection!

Cheers,

E

0 Kudos
ChristopherBrown
New Contributor II

Hi Erich,

Nice to hear from you.

We have just had Esri AU Direction Seminars over here and it always amazes me how well their 3D presentations work using ArcGIS Pro, City Engine and over the web! And when you ask a question to an "expert" usually you get a reply like "...in the next version....!!"

Then you go back to the office and try out using your own detailed surface DTM data and everything grinds to a halt.

My aerial mapping supplier delivers our DTM's in LAS format as an example last one contained 5,636,024 key points with spacing approx. 2.5m. Source 6cm GSD aerial imagery. Trouble is the comments saying use LASD are well and good but you cannot do any analysis using 3D Analyst tools without converting to a TIN or Raster source, even an Elevation Source in Pro has to be that format!

I had to clip using display extents LAS to TIN from the above source. Ended up with 1,320,131 nodes in the TIN! Only an 88 Mb TIN folder. Set it as an Elevation Source in Pro and still took a massive performance hit!

Am trying to use a DTM surface then extract nodes to then create another TIN with the DTM nodes plus nodes from a proposed design model. To then use the Polygon Volume tool in 3D Analyst.

Already crashed Pro a number of times!!!

Anyway onwards and upwards.

Regards

0 Kudos
RosarioBarbagallo
New Contributor II

Hi , why when i have a map with a large number of point (ex:  6205750 points) The render is very slow, it takes many minutes...

Is there a way to make the render faster?

I'm using ArcgisPRO 2.4 

My workstation config:

32 GB RAM

SSD

I7 9750

TITAN T1000 8GB