Arcgis Pro: CustomTransformations folder - change to non-user's profile base

07-15-2019 11:57 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Refer to below articles,

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/data-management/create-custom-geographic-transforma...

The custom geographic transformation files are stored under user’s profile.

For cloud based, enterprise environment, this is quite bad to make these custom transformation files available for every single users.

We can have an addin to monitor the centralized unc location and load into the profile upon user triggers the arcpro.

However I think, it could be the best if we can make arcpro to point unc network path as centralize location to load these custom geographic transformation file.

Is that possible?

If it is possible how to do?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Guys, 

Any comment on it?

I have an idea to copy to and from centralize network location and user profile location via Module add-in , by checking at initialized event and project saving event.

But I feel that it is like a bit doggy way and if it is possible to configure the centralize network location in ArcGIS pro, I might not need this extra work.

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

The tool writes to the user profile because it knows it has permission to write there. Connected to that, the Esri projection engine (which handles the transformations) has to know where to look for the files. You question doesn't come up very often so we haven't looked at a way to set a generic location for the files.

There's an alternative way to define custom transformations and coordinate systems using a system environment variable. It would need to be enabled on each machine being used, but the files can be stored in a single location. Please send me an email, mkennedy at esri dot com and I'll send you a document that describes it. It's useful if you have a lot of custom objects that can't be added to the core software. This method also gives the objects well-known IDs.

Melita