ArcGIS Pro create enterprise geodatabase not finishing

Jump to solution
09-26-2019 06:02 AM
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

I am trying to create GDBs in postgres for ArcGIS Enterprise. While the tool starts properly, it seems to get stuck at 9% .

When I look into my postgres server connection I can see that the gdb was still created. 

I wouldn't care if there would be a way of terminating the progress but the only way to stop it (to be able to continue with the work I was doing...) is to "kill" the task in the task manager and to open the project again. And that is annoying...

Does anybody else have a similar problem? 

I saw this post https://community.esri.com/thread/232476-arcgis-pro-create-enterprise-gdb-fails-in-postgres but (as much as I understand the issue) this does not apply to my problem. 

I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.4.1 on ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7 on Ubuntu with Postgres 10. 

This is how far it goes: 

User has privileges required to create database objects.
Geodatabase admin user already exists.
Database created.
Validated authorization file.
User has required privileges for geodatabase setup.
XML support is enabled for the database instance.
Connected RDBMS instance is setup for Esri spatial type configuration.

When I try to create the gdb from ArcMap 10.7 then I get following error: 

Executing: CreateEnterpriseGeodatabase PostgreSQL 10.10.91.25 bio_indicators DATABASE_AUTH postgres ***** SDE_SCHEMA sde ***** # 
***** [this is were the link to the key code is]
Start Time: Thu Sep 26 11:58:34 2019
User has privileges required to create database objects.
Geodatabase admin user already exists.
Database created.
Validated authorization file.
User has required privileges for geodatabase setup.
XML support is enabled for the database instance.
You must copy the latest ST_GEOMETRY library to the PostgreSQL software location. Refer to the ArcGIS help topics for more details.
Connected RDBMS instance is not setup for Esri spatial type configuration.
Failed to execute (CreateEnterpriseGeodatabase).
Failed at Thu Sep 26 11:58:40 2019 (Elapsed Time: 6.09 seconds)‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

but even this gdb is created eventually. But I cannot import any data into it as far as I tried. 

I confirmed that the st_geometry.so is in the right place - what else can I do?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Is your Desktop client in the same location as your Postgres DB server?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
StefKoroblitsas
New Contributor II

Hi George,

We have put postgres on an azure machine and want to create the enterprise geodatabase on our desktop but I've also tried having arcmap on our azure machine and I get the same result, gets3/4 through and then hangs.

I've got a ticket at the moment but its moving very slowly.

Cheers

Stef

0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

I also opened a ticket now. I am afraid it will be tricky to have it solved because of the strange IT infrastructure for the project I am working on...  I will let you know when we found a solution!

0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

I don't know your requirements, but you are aware that you can access PostgreSQL/PostGIS spatial databases without enabling them as an ESRI Enterprise Geodatabase?

Unless you have specific needs for an ESRI Enterprise Geodatabase due to ArcGIS editing workflows, need for advanced geodatabase data types, relationship classes etc, you may be able to simply connect to the spatial database using ArcGIS Query Layers and not enable an Enterprise Geodatabase.

You just need to run the Add Incrementing ID Field tool against any spatial table in the PostGreSQL/PostGIS database if there is no suitable unique ID field for each record in the table. You will then be able to add a Query Layer including spatial columns to ArcGIS.

If your requirements are just "read-only" access of PostGIS data maintained by another software package, this setup may suffice.

I have run such a setup against large PostGIS databases with great success.

Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Unfortunately I need the functionality of an Enterprise Geodatabase - I need Feature datasets and relationship classes to maintain the structure of the local gdb otherwise it becomes too complicated for our client to maintain the data...

0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

I cannot really tell which of the steps I did today solved the problem but I did

- copy (again, I was sure I tried that before) the st_geometry.so file from my ArcPro DatabaseSupport folder (postgres 11) to the /usr/lib/postgresql/11/lib folder on the server (I had downloaded those files for myEsri as I couldn't find them locally)

- upgrade my ArcMap installation to 10.7.1 [remark: I understood that the SERVER installation has to be compatible with the postgres installation but I learned today that the desktop version is the one that needs to be compatible; ]

- copy the DatabaseSupport files for postgres into the installation of ArcGIS Pro (I realized today that postgres was missing here, I don't know why I didn't find that before)

So possibly a combination of all made it finally work today. My only issue is now that it takes about 9 minutes to create an Enterprise GDB but that might be caused by the VPN connection I have to use to connect to the server. 

Maybe this helps someone else...

Thanks for looking into it!

AzinSharaf
Occasional Contributor II

I had same issue but in SQL Server and Windows. Restarting the SQL Server Windows service resolved the issue. 

0 Kudos