ArcGIS Pro create enterprise geodatabase not finishing

Jump to solution
09-26-2019 06:02 AM
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

I am trying to create GDBs in postgres for ArcGIS Enterprise. While the tool starts properly, it seems to get stuck at 9% .

When I look into my postgres server connection I can see that the gdb was still created. 

I wouldn't care if there would be a way of terminating the progress but the only way to stop it (to be able to continue with the work I was doing...) is to "kill" the task in the task manager and to open the project again. And that is annoying...

Does anybody else have a similar problem? 

I saw this post https://community.esri.com/thread/232476-arcgis-pro-create-enterprise-gdb-fails-in-postgres but (as much as I understand the issue) this does not apply to my problem. 

I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.4.1 on ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7 on Ubuntu with Postgres 10. 

This is how far it goes: 

User has privileges required to create database objects.
Geodatabase admin user already exists.
Database created.
Validated authorization file.
User has required privileges for geodatabase setup.
XML support is enabled for the database instance.
Connected RDBMS instance is setup for Esri spatial type configuration.

When I try to create the gdb from ArcMap 10.7 then I get following error: 

Executing: CreateEnterpriseGeodatabase PostgreSQL 10.10.91.25 bio_indicators DATABASE_AUTH postgres ***** SDE_SCHEMA sde ***** # 
***** [this is were the link to the key code is]
Start Time: Thu Sep 26 11:58:34 2019
User has privileges required to create database objects.
Geodatabase admin user already exists.
Database created.
Validated authorization file.
User has required privileges for geodatabase setup.
XML support is enabled for the database instance.
You must copy the latest ST_GEOMETRY library to the PostgreSQL software location. Refer to the ArcGIS help topics for more details.
Connected RDBMS instance is not setup for Esri spatial type configuration.
Failed to execute (CreateEnterpriseGeodatabase).
Failed at Thu Sep 26 11:58:40 2019 (Elapsed Time: 6.09 seconds)‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

but even this gdb is created eventually. But I cannot import any data into it as far as I tried. 

I confirmed that the st_geometry.so is in the right place - what else can I do?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

I cannot really tell which of the steps I did today solved the problem but I did

- copy (again, I was sure I tried that before) the st_geometry.so file from my ArcPro DatabaseSupport folder (postgres 11) to the /usr/lib/postgresql/11/lib folder on the server (I had downloaded those files for myEsri as I couldn't find them locally)

- upgrade my ArcMap installation to 10.7.1 [remark: I understood that the SERVER installation has to be compatible with the postgres installation but I learned today that the desktop version is the one that needs to be compatible; ]

- copy the DatabaseSupport files for postgres into the installation of ArcGIS Pro (I realized today that postgres was missing here, I don't know why I didn't find that before)

So possibly a combination of all made it finally work today. My only issue is now that it takes about 9 minutes to create an Enterprise GDB but that might be caused by the VPN connection I have to use to connect to the server. 

Maybe this helps someone else...

Thanks for looking into it!

View solution in original post

16 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I have seen that on Postgres on Windows machines related to Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2017 not being installed, but not on Ubuntu.

Did you follow this help doc: Create a geodatabase in PostgreSQL on Linux—Geodatabases in PostgreSQL | ArcGIS Desktop 

Are you running Postgres 10.7, at a minimum?

Is the ArcGIS Pro client and the Postgres RDBMS in the same location (i.e. data center or office)?

GeodatabaseArcGIS Enterprise

--- George T.
0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Soooo, it turned out that it's running with PostgresSql 11.4 (I got a wrong information yesterday). 

I am connecting through a VPN with the server, so we are not at the same place. 

My colleague was creating gdbs from her computer with ArcMap (not sure which version so, she is not here today) which have been working well. The ones I created turn out to be not really ArcGIS spatial gdbs as they don't support feature datasets and also not relationship classes. 

After trying to copy the right st_geometry.so I cannot connect any longer to the ones my colleague created before while mine are still connecting. I get this error message: 

It seems not to recognize the st_geometry.so file in the /usr/lib/postgresql/11/lib folder anymore to supposed to be working with 11 but says it's 10. (I renamed the existing ones, then copied one from 10 but that didn't help, I removed that one again and named back the old one but it seems like it still sees that wrong file)

I don't have a st_geometry.so file for Psql 11 on my computer do make sure that the proper version is online. Is there a way to get that file from somewhere?

I have to admit that this is my first Enterprise experience at all...

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Edit: Support for Postgres 11 starts with ArcGIS Server 10.7.1, not 10.7; PostgreSQL database requirements for ArcGIS 10.7.x and ArcGIS Pro 2.4—System Requirements | ArcGIS D... 

I do no think it has to do with the authorization file version.

You can download the Pro Database Support files from My Esri and there is a *.so for Postgres 11.

Try that and let us know.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

So, I'm back to start... Thanks for the hint where to download the library files, at least now I'm back to where I startet on Friday morning 😞 I also copied that 11 folder to my local installation (as I thought maybe it would help) but without a change.  

If I understood correctly, Postgres 11.4 is installed but the Enterprise is *using* (please don't ask me how this works...) version 10 - I don't know how to test this. Any hint? When I try the - version command it brings me the 11.4 but our IT lady said it is still using 10 only. 

Unfortunately we couldn't find another computer yet where we would be able to use the VPN connection AND have the same software version installed as I do to test if this is an issue of my computer or if it is a different problem. I am not sure if I mentioned before that my colleague was able to create two (ArcGIS enabled) databases without an issue but she is now on maternal leave...

Any other idea what I could try to figure out where the problem is?

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

I think that there needs to be some clarification in this post. Sorry that I am not an Linux guru.

- ArcGIS Enterprise might have a different version of Postgres that is used behind the scenes. This is independent of Enterprise Geodatabase version of Postgres that you decide to use.

- When you connect to the Postgres instance on the Linux machine via PgAdmin and run

SHOW server_version;

What are the results?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

The result is

11.4 (Ubuntu 11.4-1.pgdg16.04+1)

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Ok, so it look like the PG version is 11.4. I am not sure why you are having issues once you place the PG 11 .so file from My Esri in the correct location.

My suggestion would be to open a tech support case and work with an analyst who can review it in more detail.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for taking your time to look into it George! 

0 Kudos
StefKoroblitsas
New Contributor II

I think im having the similar/same issue, This is how far it goes in 10.7.1: 

it just keeps spinning. Im using windows and postgres 11.2

I was getting the intital error as you in Arcmap but updated to 10.7.1 and it changed to above.

Let me know if you find a solution

Stef

0 Kudos