ArcGIS Pro - copy records from attribute table in sorted order

06-24-2019 12:47 PM
MelissaDaniels1
New Contributor III

I just switched to Pro. I used to be able to sort an attribute table by a field, copy, and then paste them into Excel or wherever in the sorted order. Now when I sort an attribute table in Pro and then copy & paste, it pastes in order by OID. How to I copy & paste in Pro and maintain the order in which I sorted it?

Thanks!

8 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hmm, I'm seeing that too so I let the development team know.  In the meantime, you might have to (re)sort on the desired field after the paste into Excel.

0 Kudos
MelissaDaniels1
New Contributor III

Thanks for getting back to me and for passing that along.  I appreciate it.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Can you explain the workflow you use for this action in Pro 2.3.3, as I cannot even copy selected records from the attribute table to Excel?

I ask because I can highlight rows in the attribute table in ArcMap and then right-click on the far left column to be provided with a list of choices that include Copy Selected.  If I perform the same action in Pro 2.3.3 Copy Selected in not available in the right-click drop down list.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the tip.

Besides fixing the sorting issue, will the Copy selected records also be added back to the right-click menu as it exists in ArcMap for equivalency purposes?

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I don't think there's any plan for that as Ctrl + Shift +C is the same shortcut in ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos
PRuss
by
New Contributor III

Any word on when this really aggravating bug will be fixed? As of today, 4/30/2020 in 2.5 it is still not preserving sorts when copying into Excel... how does this type of bug even happen in the first place?

Also, when attempting to do the same sort in Excel it is not straight forward at all. Dealing with a data set right now that simply will not sort the same way as in Pro's attribute table. Never saw any issue like this in ArcMap going back to 8.3 days.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I'm not sure why the sort isn't preserved when pasting into Excel.  I looked at the dev issue, and it shows as being fixed in 2.5.

I just tried:

This table is sorted on Fire_Name.  When I copy/paste into Excel, it is the same order.

What is different about what you're seeing in 2.5?  Can you provide more details and screenshots?

0 Kudos