ArcGIS Pro converting string to integer data type when appending a survey123 connect layer to feature layer in AGOL

03-30-2023 09:17 AM
Clint
by
New Contributor II

What I'm trying to accomplish is appending my survey layer to a feature layer, so surveys will show up on top of the points on the feature layer so I don't have to "collect new" surveys.  

Whenever I try to append a layer with a field that is a string in ArcGIS Pro, it wants to convert it to an integer.  I saw the post about saving the CSV to AGOL first, but I'm dealing with Survey123 Connect, which doesn't place an excel file into AGOL.  There is only an excel file on my local drive and the "form" is placed in AGOL. 

Here's a reference link to the post I'm referring to about the CSV: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-online-questions/arcgis-online-is-converting-my-table-s-text-fi...

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Is the field in the target layer you are appending to, an integer field?

You cannot change the field type of an existing field. Append targets existing fields.

If this is not the case, can you please show a screenshot of the field details in ArcGIS Online.

0 Kudos
Clint
by
New Contributor II

I had major mess up.  The data in the survey123 connect excel file was an integer field.  Once I changed that to a text field in the excel file, everything worked like it should.  For some reason I wasn't associating a "string" field in AGOL with a "text" field in Excel.  Thank you for your reply which made me finally realize what I was doing wrong.

0 Kudos