ArcGIS Pro Calculate Geometry

Jump to solution
01-08-2015 10:37 AM
DonovanCorliss
New Contributor

On my attribute table, I can calculate a field but I don't see the handy Calculate Geometry that I found in 10.2.2. 

Do I need to go back to a script to add a Latitude and Longitude field in my attribute table?

I am using a File Geodatabase table in ArcGIS Pro 1.0 (Prerelease 2, Build 1692

20 Replies
HollyBaun1
New Contributor II

Thank you very much Jeremy! I saw this thread several months ago, but had not found a solution either, so I moved on.  Back at trying to get DD coordinates from placed points efficiently and this worked great! 

Initially when I tried to run Add XY Coordinates, it failed and said the layer I was using was not editable.  Even though I could view it in my geodatabase, something wasn't saved right (user error!!).  I ran a Conversion on the layer and then ran the XY tool, selecting Geographic Coordinates, and it worked fine.  After having success with that tool, I also retried the Add Geometry Attributes tool on another point feature layer, and it worked as well.  Both tools will calculate in decimal degrees as long as WGS 1984 is selected as the Coordinate System.  Both tools will create a Point_X or Point_Y field. If either is run subsequently when those fields already exist, they will overwrite the existing field data. 

Bahram-Jomehzadeh
New Contributor III

The solution is in How To: Calculate geometry in ArcGIS Pro  page!

GIS Consultant
Proficient in best practices and uses of Esri's ArcGIS technologies.
0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

https://community.esri.com/ideas/10695  is now In Product Plan and I think we'll see this with the release of Pro 2.2.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

This short video I created explains the options I was able to implement for calculating XY coordinates in decimal degrees and degrees, minutes, seconds. ArcGIS Pro - Calculate XY Coordinate Geometry in DD and DMS

AlexanderEricsson1
New Contributor II
0 Kudos
DarylHochhalter
Occasional Contributor II

That is not the correct answer, calculate and add do two different things.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Given this thread is almost 5 years old, it isn't surprising the information isn't necessarily relevant/accurate any longer.  Prior to Pro 2.2, there was no Calculate Geometry Attributes so Add Geometry Attributes was all that is available.  Instead of simply saying the answer isn't correct, it would have been more helpful to the community to post that Calculate Geometry Attributes is now available and addresses the OP's question.

0 Kudos
DarylHochhalter
Occasional Contributor II

KKramer-esristaff had already done that 2 years ago, guess I was hoping the original author might come back and select a new correct answer. Had I not already known that, might not have looked past the correct answer.

0 Kudos
JeremyTisdale
New Contributor II

Sorry, I did not feel it was necessary to update as the other posters had already commented and shown the corrected tools.  I am happy they have updated the program to fix the issue.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Daryl Hochhalter‌ I'm assuming this is related to this idea you posted yesterday: https://community.esri.com/ideas/17517 

Comment back over on that idea thread, because I'm pretty sure with Calculate Geometry that is now "already offered" but definitely want to know if there is something still missing for your workflows.

Thank you.

0 Kudos