ArcGIS Pro and Proportional Symbols, layer list draw order

Jump to solution
12-08-2020 10:43 AM
KateCarlson
Occasional Contributor

Hello-  Wondering if someone can help me out.  I have a student who is creating a multi-layer layout that includes proportional symbols and annotation feature classes. 

The problem is that that labels draw underneath the proportional symbols, obscuring the text. The annotations are placed at the top in the Contents pane.  Just for testing I notices that it does not matter where the proportional symbol layer is in the Content pane, it will show about a choropleth if I place it there.  Obviously, not what we would do, but the annotation issue is confounding.  

Any tips?  I would just have the student convert the symbols to graphics for the final layout, but that does not appear to be an option in Pro yet (or perhaps never will?).

Thanks-
Kate

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Digging deeper I found an Enhancement Request that addresses this issue.  It's ENH-000113670 - Markers produced by graduated or proportional symbols on polygons draw in the annotation phase, meaning that labels draw on top of them, but annotation does not.  It's in the Product Plan to fix but I do not know when.  You can add your Customer Number to the Enhancement Request by contacting Esri Support Services.  Hope this helps explain what's happening albeit without a way to correct.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Kate - since annotations are a feature class, you can edit them and move them to a new location if you like.  Another option is to set the Reference Scale for the Map View (i.e. 100,000) so the anno/choropleth map stay at the same scale.

0 Kudos
KateCarlson
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your response, Robert. Yes, the student can edit annotation label placements, that was the initial reason why he used anno feature classes. I actually  I suggested he convert the annos to graphics to better control the arrangement that way in the layout (there are only a few labels). But, it is still a bit perplexing to me why the proportional symbols lay over the top of all other layers, no matter their position in the table of contents. Maybe this was the case in ArcMap too, I do not recall.

Thanks!
Kate

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Digging deeper I found an Enhancement Request that addresses this issue.  It's ENH-000113670 - Markers produced by graduated or proportional symbols on polygons draw in the annotation phase, meaning that labels draw on top of them, but annotation does not.  It's in the Product Plan to fix but I do not know when.  You can add your Customer Number to the Enhancement Request by contacting Esri Support Services.  Hope this helps explain what's happening albeit without a way to correct.

KateCarlson
Occasional Contributor

Hi Robert-  I see, thanks for digging and sharing this explanation. Good to know it is a known issue and it is on the fix list.  Very  helpful, much appreciated. 

Kate

SamAmmermann
New Contributor

Hello

Is there an actual solution yet? I am trying to do the same thing and running into this issue. 

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Sam - I pulled up the enhancement request and see that it's in the Product Plan but no mention when it will be incorporated into ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos