ArcGIS Pro 2.9 - How to clean self-intersection in GPS track polyline?

12-06-2021 07:50 AM
VincentLaunstorfer
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I have a GPS track as a polyline, attached.

I am looking at how to tiday and/or clean self-intersections. It must be a common task and so far I only found the Repair Self Intersection tool which requires the Topographic Production extension...

Is there any other geoprocessing tool and/or workflow to perform such cleaning?

Thanks

Self_Intersection.png

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlkaRamnath
New Contributor III

Hi

If you save the feature in a geodatabase, you will be able to create topology for it, using the rule "must not self intersect (line)". This will remove the self-intersections. You will need to choose an appropriate tolerance.

I hope that this helps.

Regards,

Alka

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Repair Geometry

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

planarize in an edit session may work for many situations.  once planarized, you can delete segments with less than a certain threshold length

planarize.png

you can fine-tune using additional methods but that is what the Topographic Production extension covers more quickly

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
VincentLaunstorfer
Occasional Contributor III

Hi all,

Thanks for your help.

1. Unfortunately, the Repair Geometry did not help because dangles are probably too large and not actually geometry problem

2. The Planarize is a good start but it only works for simple self-intersection and/or dangle. Anything more complex need a manual fix, as shown below.

Planarize2.pngPlanarize1.png

3. The Topology rule... I tried to adjust the XY Cluster Tolerance to 0.001 degree to match my self-intersection but I received an unknown error...

Topology_Cluster_Tolerance_Error-.png

This is all I managed to test this week... As the Repair Self Intersection tool in the Topographic Production extension needs extra licensing, I wonder if there would be a similar tool in QGIS (but I am not as experienced in QGIS!)

0 Kudos
AlkaRamnath
New Contributor III

Hi

Point 3 refers. Please try setting the tolerance in metres or feet and check if you obtain the error message? On the sample you provided, I set the tolerance in metres and it worked in removing the self-intersection. The problem was that I was unsure of your projection and therefore set the tolerance extremely huge to test the self-intersection functionality. 

This could be a  short-coming in my thinking but I only use topology with projected data as I can visually see (in my mind) the tolerances I set in metres (I unfortunately cannot measure in degrees decimal).

Thank you.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

@TimWitt2 wrote a nifty python add-in a few years back that took care of dangles. It was written for ArcMap but the code might (should?) be able to be adapted to Pro. Your illustration shows some pretty ugly tracks; it's going to take some manual editing to fix stuff like that, so get ready to roll your sleeves up and get your hands dirty.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos