ArcGIS Pro 2.9.2 unable to install Spyder

Jump to solution
04-09-2022 09:06 AM
MarkBinder
Occasional Contributor

I have upgraded to ArcGIS Pro 2.9.2 but I am having trouble installing Spyder and managing my virtual environments.

When I clone a virtual environment it does not appear on the list of environments in ArcGIS Pro; if I add it, close and then re-open ArcGIS Pro it still does not appear on the list.

When a cloned environment does appear on the list and I try to install Spyder it appears to go through the installation but in the end nothing is installed.

How can I get Spyder installed?

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkBinder
Occasional Contributor

There seems to be an issue with the default environment when using ArcGIS Pro 2.9. I uninstalled 2.9.2, reinstalled 2.9 and had the same problems.

I uninstalled 2.9, reinstalled 2.8 and the 2.8.6 patch and now I am able to install and use Spyder.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
AndyAnderson
Occasional Contributor II

We had a lot of trouble with this, but the particular issue we had, seemingly randomly, is that the installation would hang up on installing notebook extensions. Not sure if this is what you’re seeing. Anyway, things to try:

1) Start up ArcGIS Pro from the start menu by choosing the “Run as Administrator” option;

2) Make sure your antivirus software is turned off.

— Andy

0 Kudos
MarkBinder
Occasional Contributor

I'm not sure if this is related; when I add a cloned environment and click OK I just get a blue bar that keeps going across the bottom of the window.

I'm not sure if my issue is with Spyder or the Python environments.

0 Kudos
AndyAnderson

It’s not Spyder, it’s the cloning process is failing before you even try to add it.

MarkBinder
Occasional Contributor

That explains it.

How do I fix the clone? I tried installing Spyder using command line and it keeps giving me errors that a bunch of packages conflict.

Do I need to uninstall ArcGIS Pro and reinstall it first?

0 Kudos
AndyAnderson

Delete the failed clone.

1) Start up ArcGIS Pro from the start menu by choosing the “Run as Administrator” option;

2) Make sure your antivirus software is turned off.

Make a new clone.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you must use a clone, then see their instructions on how to connect spyder's editor to the python.exe in Pro's environment

Installation Guide — Spyder 5 documentation (spyder-ide.org)

I usually do a 

>>> conda install spyder --no-pin --dry-run

in the base environment.  Drop the --dry-run when you get a feel for what will be installed.

You can install a spyder 5.1.5 from the anaconda site.  They are exceptionally slow in updating packages 

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
AndyAnderson

It’s really easy to add Spyder from within ArcGIS Pro once you’ve cloned the environment.

0 Kudos
MarkBinder
Occasional Contributor

There is always something wrong with the cloned environment every time I make a clone. Is it possible there are problems in the default environment?

I may try reinstalling ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos
MarkBinder
Occasional Contributor

There seems to be an issue with the default environment when using ArcGIS Pro 2.9. I uninstalled 2.9.2, reinstalled 2.9 and had the same problems.

I uninstalled 2.9, reinstalled 2.8 and the 2.8.6 patch and now I am able to install and use Spyder.

0 Kudos