ArcGIS Pro 2.8 'Creating Geoprocessing Cache' sits there forever

Jump to solution
08-04-2021 12:05 PM
Greg_Cocks
New Contributor II

Hello,

A new install of ArcGIS Pro 2.8...

Save project, 'Creating Geoprocessing Cache' dialog open with no sign of finishing (30+ minutes left)

Thoughts?

Regards,

GREG...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Greg_Cocks
New Contributor II

The 'demon tweak' was to:

• Uninstall ArcPro 2.8.x

• Delete folder: C:\ArcGIS\Pro

• Delete the g0.__.cache file from C:\Users\<me>\AppData\Local\ESRI\Local Caches\

• Install ArcPro

• Install the (now) 2.8.1 and 2.8.2 patches

Back up and running with rasters!

Cheers!

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello, that process usually completes in under 10 seconds on the first start up of a new installation of ArcGIS Pro. At this point you will need to kill the process unfortunately. 

In your user profile's Esri Local Caches folder (C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\ESRI\Local Caches) you'll likely see a series of g0 and g1 cache files. These are what is generated when the geoprocessing cache is created as you pictured. You might have several of these files if you've used previous versions of ArcGIS Pro. The Pro 2.8 cache files are ~105KB for the g0 file and ~745KB for the g1 file on my machine.

Find the g0/g1 files with a timestamp of today, remove them from the cache directory onto your desktop, make a zip, and upload here please. You can delete all of the g0/g1 files from the cache directory and restart Pro. Try opening the geoprocessing pane to see if cache completion is successful.

We have seen caching fail previously when there is corrupt or out of date Python environment active on your system, perhaps from a previous installed version of Pro. 

Let me understand your possible steps based on your screenshot. 

1. New project
  2. Insert map
  3. Add few rasters
  4. Save project
  5. Caching hangs?
Greg_Cocks
New Contributor II

Drew,

Thanks for the reply...

Here is a slightly refined set of steps..

1. New laptop with new role, clean install of v2.6 by IT
  2. Opened ArcGIS Pro, new map, not saved
  3. Noted that was v2.6.x and asked IT for an upgrade (although have Admin rights now)
  4. They upgraded to v2.8.x
  5. Using this version
  6. New project
  7. Insert map
  8. Add few rasters
  9. Save project
  10. Caching hangs?
  11. End process with Windows Task Manager

I followed your suggestion

• 105k file, *.cache, attached here - but was dated 07/26/21 - i.e., NOT yesterday 08/04/21
  • moved this *.cache from C:\Users\<me>\AppData\Local\ESRI\Local Caches
  • there were NO other cache files at this level
  • opened ArcGIS Pro, etc as above, added raster, clicked save, caching hangs still, 
  • NO new *.cache file created at the root of C:\Users\<me>\AppData\Local\ESRI\Local Caches 
  • there ARE six (6) files created at C:\Users\<me>\AppData\Local\ESRI\Local Caches\BmLCacheV2 at the D&T I open the APRX (checked twice) - see attached
  • none of the other three (3) sub-directories in C:\Users\<me>\AppData\Local\ESRI\Local Caches\ have file(s) with today's date  (BGLCacheV2, GlobeCache, and MapCacheV1)

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
GREG...

0 Kudos
Greg_Cocks
New Contributor II

P.S. also

• I can't get to the geoprocessing pane as suggested at it wants to create the geoprocessing cache on the way, and hangs as above
  • APRXs with just vector datasets work just fine, as might be expected
  • if I add just a single raster and sets its cache in properties to be "Don't cache any data locally" the geoprocessing cache is still attempted on a save  <-- just FYI
0 Kudos
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

@Greg_Cocks 

I am checking with our developer on the missing g1 cache file. The hang is not allowing that necessary file to be generated. 

The other cache files you showed are unrelated, and have to do with map layer caching. Raster is a complex system with many dependencies, including the whole geoprocessing system, which is why geoprocessing caching is triggered simply from basic use and saving of a project with raster data. 

The only troubleshooting I can offer at this time is to please check to make sure the default Python environment is activated. Using a 2.6 Python environment in 2.8 is not supported and will cause issues such as this. And if all else fails, do a complete application uninstall, make sure the installation directory is completely empty, and reinstall. 

0 Kudos
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Oh and you can try to use these complete 2.8 cache files attached in your Local Cache directory. I am completely uncertain if this will help anything or if they will register since they are uniquely guid-ed, but it might be worth a shot to get up and running (or it might make geoprocessing crash later during app usage).
Something in your installation folder or Python environment is causing the cache to generate incompletely, so I would try the troubleshooting I previously described before I would try using my g* cache files.

0 Kudos
Greg_Cocks
New Contributor II

Cache generation still hanging using your cache files... uninstall / reinstall time!  🙂

0 Kudos
Greg_Cocks
New Contributor II

Drew,

Thanks...  🙂

The Python version is 3.7.10, see attached... as mentioned, this was a 'clean install' and nothing has been changed....

I will try the cache files you attached, thanks!

Regards,

GREG...

0 Kudos
Greg_Cocks
New Contributor II

The 'demon tweak' was to:

• Uninstall ArcPro 2.8.x

• Delete folder: C:\ArcGIS\Pro

• Delete the g0.__.cache file from C:\Users\<me>\AppData\Local\ESRI\Local Caches\

• Install ArcPro

• Install the (now) 2.8.1 and 2.8.2 patches

Back up and running with rasters!

Cheers!