ArcGIS Pro 2.6: How to perform “relationship class” with many to many (M:N) option?

11-08-2020 10:04 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 2.6: How to perform “relationship class” with many to many (M:N) option?

I couldn’t figure out how to perform “relationship class” with many to many (M:N) option

For example, I wanted to relate the attribute of feature class below with a standalone-table via ID_L1 and ID_L1_T fields respectively.

Then what I’m supposed to fill in the origin primary key, origin foreign key, destination primary key, and destination foreign key?

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
7 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

From

Create Relationship Class (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

origin_primary_key

The field in the origin table, typically the OID field, that links it to the Origin Foreign Key field in the relationship class table.

String
origin_foreign_key

The field in the relationship class table that links it to the Origin Primary Key field in the origin table.

String
destination_primary_key
(Optional)

The field in the destination table, typically the OID field, that links it to the Destination Foreign Key field in the relationship class table.

String
destination_foreign_key
(Optional)

The field in the relationship class table that links it to the Destination Primary Key field in the destination table.

String

and many-to-many cardinality... you will have to figure out your origin and relationship class tables and select the appropriate fields.  There are only a few combinations that you can try... what did you try?

... sort of retired...
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Here is how I set up a M:N relationship using the Table to Relationship Class geoprocessing tool. This ties together the Management Regions features to the Source table using the Region_Source relationship table.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks Ken for sharing concrete example in how to perform M:N relationship

In the screenshot below, the “table to relationship class” is performed, however, identifying features returns nothing

What could be the issue here?

Jamal Numan
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

In the Layer Properties dialog, do you see the relate?

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks Ken. It appears to work fine with the “table to relationship class” tool.

But how to work with “create relationship class” tool?

Jamal Numan
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Most, if not all, of the parameters should be the same as in the Table to Relationship Class tool. Have you read this documentation?

Relationship class properties—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks KenBuja.

I have read the documentation but unfortunately there is no concrete example in how to perform the tool

Jamal Numan