ArcGIS Pro 2.6: How the “Guid” field in the attribute table of a feature class is created?

11-08-2020 09:53 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 2.6: How the “Guid” field in the attribute table of a feature class is created?

I couldn’t figure out how the “Guid” field is created. What could be enabled in order to get this field created?

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

is it in a relationship class?

... sort of retired...
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The GlobalID field is an Esri system/software managed field while other global ID fields, e.g., Guid, are typically created and managed by users.

I assume you didn't create this table, do you know who did?  What role is the Guid field serving, do you know?

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks guys.

This is how I received the data. I got both GlobalID and Guid.

It’s easy to know how the GlobalID field has been created (as per the screenshot below), but the question is that how has the Guid field been created?

Jamal Numan
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

As I mentioned earlier/above, Guids are typically created and managed by users and not Esri system tools.  If you need to know what the Guid in the data set represent, you need to reach out to the person or group that created the data set. 

Or, are you asking how to create a Guid field yourself for a different data set?  How To: Calculate unique identifier values similar to Global IDs 

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Hi Joshua,

I found out that the “Guid” is one of the field types and has “new Guid” tool by which values can be created

What do you think?

Jamal Numan