ArcGIS Pro 2.6.2: How to set the “display field” for a feature class at the level of catalog?

11-26-2020 11:31 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 2.6.2: How to set the “display field” for a feature class at the level of catalog?

As per the screenshot below, the “display field” can be set for a feature class at the content level. Is this possible to be set at catalog level?

Clip_421.jpgClip_422.jpg

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Jamal - I don't believe this is possible.  I did look at ArcMap and ArcCatalog 10.8.x to see if this was an equivalency item.  It does not appear to be so.  There was an enhancement request (NIM040456) back in the ArcGIS 9.3 days - "please add the option/functionality of setting the Primary Display field as a Feature Class field option within ArcCatalog."  It closed as "Not in the Current Product Plan."  I would think this still applies in ArcGIS Pro as well.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks Robert.

It’s unfortunate that this is still not implemented. We are wasting much of time resetting our data each time to add them to the map to match our preferences.

This also extends to include all other properties such as “format number” and “visibility”

Clip_182.jpg

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I understand Jamal.  As you know, you can submit this as an ArcGIS Idea to give it visibility to the ArcGIS Pro Developers.  I wonder if creating a layer file (i.e. *.lyrx) for the layer would be a workaround for resetting the number format parameters each time.  Do it once for the layer, Share as a Layer File then have your users add the layer file.  Not an ideal solution I know but something to consider in the interim.

mody_buchbinder
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Robert

I am interesting too.

I need to set it for a table (so a relationship will show it in the identify window). This cannot be done in the geodatabase level or in arcpy.

Thanks

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

I have already posted the idea

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/arcgis-2-7-the-ability-to-set-the-display-field-for-a...

Jamal Numan
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Please, vote here:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/arcgis-2-7-the-ability-to-set-the-display-field-for-a...

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos