ArcGIS Pro 2.5.0 crashes when creating new project or opening existing project

07-08-2020 08:58 AM
JulianaSpector1
New Contributor III

Hello,

I've had a persistent error with ArcGIS Pro 2.5.0 crashing when trying to create a new project or open an existing project. I receive an error box with the following message: "Application has stopped working" (see attached photo). TIA for any help or suggestions.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Very strange.  Whenever I see odd AGP operations, I take a somewhat drastic method to reset AGP.  Go into your C:\Users\<user_profile>\appdata\local and C:\Users\<user_profile>\appdata\roaming directories and rename the Esri folder to Esri_Old or something similar.  This resets AGP to factory settings.  Keep in mind that you will lose any ArcGIS Desktop customizations you've done in the past.  Hence renaming the Esri folder to Esri_Old - you can go back to it if you prefer.  Restart AGP and attempt the workflow again.  What is the result?

0 Kudos
JulianaSpector1
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply. I followed the method you outlined. I am now able to create a new project as expected and confirmed that can reopen new project after restarting AGP. However, once I added a notebook to project and tried to open it, error came again and crashed AGP. Same thing happens when I try to open Python window. 

I am still not able to open a preexisting project. Possibly because it has a notebook in it. 

The last thing I was able to do when AGP was working normally was create a cloned environment of arcgispro-py3. I'm wondering if creating that cloned environment messed with settings somehow. 

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Interesting - 1 step forward, 2 steps back it seems.  So question - is your ArcGIS Pro application installed on your C:/Program Files/ArcGIS/Pro folder or somewhere else?  In reviewing Support calls, this was one causal factor of AGP crashing when adding a notebook.

Other things to consider - are there any non-ArcGIS Python installations on your machine such as Anaconda?  If you create a new workbook vs adding one, does ArcGIS Pro crash?  Do you have the Data Interoperability extension installed and if so, is it the current release?

0 Kudos
JulianaSpector1
New Contributor III

1) AGP application is installed on C:/Program Files/ArcGIS/Pro folder.

2) There are non-ArcGIS Python installations on my machine (Anaconda).

3) I'm not sure how creating a new notebook is different than adding one. Generally when I want to add a new notebook to a project, I do so in Insert menu with New Notebook button in open project. After the notebook is added, I see a Notebook folder in catalog and try to open notebook there. That's when AGP crashes. When I reopen same project after crash, Notebook folder in catalog disappears. And if I add another notebook, previous notebooks do not show up in catalog Notebook folder. I do see previous notebooks in new notebook dialog when adding a new notebook.

4) I don't have any extensions installed.

As an added note (in case it's helpful), AGP also crashes when I click Analysis tab in an open project.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

There are numerous threads related to cloning the python environment and the issues that arise from this in terms of Pro upgrades.  I would review these threads as they have lots of good practical and theoretic information.

0 Kudos
JulianaSpector1
New Contributor III

AGP has not been upgraded on my machine since creating cloned environment, so not sure if this would be relevant.

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

One Esri support call that saw a similar crash had the user go in and uninstall/reinstall AGP and then the notepad worked as expected.  Might be worth a try?  If that does not work, then I'd recommend you call Esri Support Services to get a ticket created with an analyst.

0 Kudos
JulianaSpector1
New Contributor III

Thanks for the suggestion. I will give that a try and hopefully that might resolve the issue. If not, will call Esri Support Services up.