ArcGIS Pro: 2.4.2: In general, ArcPro has less performance than ArcMap,

10-27-2019 11:42 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS Pro: 2.4.2: In general, ArcPro has less performance than ArcMap,

I observed that the ArcPro has less performance than ArcMap. This observation is related to all tools and behaviors

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
123 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

that is up to date.... 2.5 is in Beta 2, which means it hasn't been released and is in final testing for release in January

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Hi Kory,

Correct. On the site there is 2.5 Beta 2 for download. However, the Pro says “the version is current”!

Any advice?

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

download it and install beta 2

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Advice?  Yes, download and install 2.5 beta 2 like Dan said

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

beta 2 is even nicer

BrianWade
Occasional Contributor

Morning Dan, can I load beta while still keeping my version 2.4.2 active?

I would like to test it out but need 2.4.2 for daily production.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Noooooo

You are either in or not.

It is best to have an isolated machine for beta. You don't want a 'work' machine for this

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Totally agree.  The Clone wars make installing a beta version onto a test machine critical, as you would not want to corrupt your python environment for your production machine.

MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

The first time any GP tool is accessed there is a geoprocessing tools initialization that takes a few seconds (should only be a few seconds).  Each tool also may have an initialization time, depending on what the tool does.  Specific to Create Utility Network it reads in layers from the active map.

MattWilkie1
Occasional Contributor II

I believe the lag time related to number of layers is because the GP tool validator inspects each and every one for validity, testing that a) it exists and b) is the specified or necessary data type. This can be bypassed by going direct to an arcpy script, but that's only a time saver in a narrow range of cases.