ArcGIS Pro: 2.4.2: In general, ArcPro has less performance than ArcMap,

10-27-2019 11:42 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS Pro: 2.4.2: In general, ArcPro has less performance than ArcMap,

I observed that the ArcPro has less performance than ArcMap. This observation is related to all tools and behaviors

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
123 Replies
MattWilkie1
Occasional Contributor II

Eep, prematurely posted. I was about to add "if we all just reply metrics in-thread like this it's not going to be very useable. Is there an option to format and export the metrics as csv?"

IanSims
Esri Contributor

Matt--you can export these results logs from the "Log View" pane, default is to output to "TestResults.log", but you'll see the option to name and path this somewhere else if preferable.

Re. the metrics themselves--I've seen both faster and slower, both internally and externally, but feedback and collective metrics are useful here.  Have you signed up for the beta programme yet?

MattWilkie1

Thanks Ian.

No, not on the beta programme. I was a few years ago but pulled out because there's too much distance between that and production. I need to support and instruct users on stable, which means I need to be using the same environment as them. Switching between env's is too attention/time costly.

AndrewQuee
Occasional Contributor III

I'm seeing some useful discussion here.  To objectively (instead of subjectively, remember why progress bars were invented) measure performance for drawing using these tools

PerfQAnalyzer: New 10.7/10.7.x Version (Build 173) Available for Download 

PerfTools (Build 100) for ArcGIS Pro 2.x is now available for download 

Yes I know this does not address other concerns raised about issues with speed of interface and starting tools, but this is at least a place to start with quantifiable and measurable facts.  You're not going to get anywhere with Esri devs with "I reckon..."

SaidDouai1
New Contributor II

Thanks to all comments.

I did experience opening ArcGIS Pro takes longer than ArcMap, but when I used Arc toolbox in ArcGIS Pro it really works faster than ArcMap. 

TimMatisziw
New Contributor

I've been using arcgis pro (both gui and python interface) since it came out....in most cases arcgis pro is faster.  However, there is sometimes some unreasonable latency in populating browsing directories in the gui...that seems to happen in both pro and arcmap.  Not sure why that would ever occur in the first place given that describing a directory is not a complicated process.

If you are experiencing delays, it sounds like an installation or pc configuration problem to me.  I've noticed this on pc's configured by someone other than the primary user (i.e., general IT staff) and where the user does not have full admin permissions.  Make sure you have configured your antivirus/malware/firewall settings appropriately.  Be sure that you have configured arcgis to access online content without being compromised by antivirus settings.  Make sure the directory systems on your pc are structured in a reasonable format (e.g., short directory folder names containing no special characters or spaces).  Ensure that you have full admin permissions.

MattWilkie1
If you are experiencing delays, it sounds like an installation or pc configuration problem to me.  I've noticed this on pc's configured by someone other than the primary user (i.e., general IT staff) and where the user does not have full admin permissions.  ....  Ensure that you have full admin permissions.

I really hope this is a red herring. It's flat out not possible to enable full admin for all our GIS users. We've already dealt with a couple ransom ware attacks this year that made it inside the firewall. (Thankfully our IT folks caught and quarantined before real damage was done; was very time consuming for them though.) As the perpetrators grow sophistication we're going to have get tighter permissions not looser. There is no reason I've thought of for a user-space program like Pro to require admin permissions.

Joel-Hickok-1978
New Contributor II

Totally agree.  While ArcGIS Pro does offer many new features and enhancements that are noteworthy, it continues to be extremely frustrating that the performance on a high-powered machines is so poor.  Pro was supposed to get better with performance, not take steps backward.

DavidWheelock2

Sometimes, Pro is faster, MUCH faster.

Sometimes, Pro is slower, MUCH slower.

Example:  FASTER

We have an ArcGIS streets export model that runs the Simplify tool as a part of the tool.

• Measurements:
    • ArcCatalog: the entire model takes about 10 minutes and the Simplify tool alone takes about 8 minutes.
    • ArcGIS Pro: the entire model takes about 1.5 minutes and the Simplify tool takes only about 15 seconds
  • So, ArcGIS Pro is 7 times faster on the entire export model and 30 times faster for the Simplify tool!

Example:  SLOWER

I had a user recently request a large, highly detailed wall-map of the city.  The map has lots of street labeling.  The Maplex labeling performance is much SLOWER in ArcGIS Pro.  I wound up giving up on Pro for this project because I just didn't want to wait that long for every refresh while tuning the labeling.

• Measurements:
    • ArcMap: 1 minute.
    • ArcGIS Pro: 3 minutes.
  • Here, Pro is 3 times slower than ArcMap.
    • Granted this is a very large map.  With most smaller maps the labeling time might be short enough that you could wait through it.  However it's still useful benchmark.

So, as you can see, ArcGIS Pro has it's pros and cons.  I expect that ArcMap will have the same experience as the old ArcView GIS 3.X (AV3).  As time has gone by and computers become more and more powerful, AV3 has remained static with no further additions, and, so, when it's run on a modern computer, it performs almost instantaneously, in the blink of an eye, and puts ArcMap to shame in some tasks.  The same will be true of ArcMap, which is now the static product.  As time goes by, Pro will continue to grow and become more resource intensive and require faster and faster computers, and ArcMap will appear faster and faster by comparison, and people will continue to love it.

In fact, I foresee ESRI have a hard time killing ArcMap, a decade down the road.  It's so much more capable than AV3 ever was, that I suspect that people will still be using it decades from now.

DavidWheelock2

Kory Kramer‌, is this enough detail in my slower example?