ArcGIS Pro 2.3 application crashes on Python settings > Manage Environments > Clone Default > crash

Jump to solution
01-24-2019 12:18 PM
MichaelAugust
Occasional Contributor III

That's it in a nutshell, just upgraded to ArcGISPro 2.3, had a nice environment set up in 2.2.4, that went away with update - it no longer functioned/errored out, so I deleted that environment, but when I attempt now to clone the default ArcGIS Pro crashes. Is this happening to anyone else or do I need to uninstall reinstall Pro?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichaelAugust

Hi Dan - I solved my issue by checking "run as administrator" on Pro, then I was able to clone and install.  Hopefully it's this simple for you as well.

View solution in original post

26 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

mine wouldn't let me install packages in the clone... even on a fresh install...

see

/blogs/dan_patterson/2018/12/28/clone 

0 Kudos
MichaelAugust

Hi Dan - I solved my issue by checking "run as administrator" on Pro, then I was able to clone and install.  Hopefully it's this simple for you as well.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Administrator didn't work for me.  But installing packages in the base environment worked using conda.... go figure., 

I just keep the msi and cab files in case I have to reinstall.  I am finding installation takes less time than cloning once you have the msi & cab files.

0 Kudos
MichaelAugust

Oh, possibly helpful details other than checking run as admin (in case others are troubleshooting):

1) deleted my existing cloned conda environment from 2.2.4 that no longer worked with 2.3 Pro (thanks for the heads up ESRI)

2) repaired the Pro installation prior to cloning by downloading installer from ESRI > My Support > Downloads > Pro 2.3 and "repairing" during install

0 Kudos
DavidJenkins
New Contributor III
  • "Run as Administrator" did not work.. still crashes..
  • Don't want to change base environment, that's the whole purpose of cloning...
  • Will try repairing next but honestly... disappointing..
  • Nope.. repair did not help.  Still crashes..
  • Just tried in on a brand new laptop with a fresh "clean" install of ArcGIS Pro and though there is no crash, Error: Failed to create environment...

Ok!  Here is the answer (for me and hopefully for some others here):

The URL that the clone processes is accessing is blocked by my organization.  That is, <https://conda.anaconda.org/..> connection fails (because my org. blocks it)...

0 Kudos
MichaelWallace3
New Contributor III

I am receiving an error very similar to the one posted about here https://community.esri.com/message/844279-getting-an-error-when-cloning-project-environment could someone please answer this post as well. 

0 Kudos
GabrielMarcus1
Occasional Contributor II

I just uninstalled and reinstalled 2.3 using the guidance from ESRI Support while working on another issue. 

I ran as an admin and can't clone either. Mine doesn't crash, but says "Error: Failed to create environment"

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Gabriel, where was your clone being created?  in C:\Users.... ?

in the the 'envs' folder to parallel esri's base, like this

C:\...install folder path... \bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3

………………………………………...\envs\your_clone

0 Kudos
GabrielMarcus1
Occasional Contributor II

From Manage Environments, I'm choosing "Clone Default". 

The error message isn't kind enough to go away and leave the path. 

However, I found new folders created in <username>/AppData>Local>ESRI>conda>envs>

0 Kudos