ArcGIS Pro 2.2 does not open projects after changes to Oracle client

01-09-2019 04:24 AM
TomGeo
by
Occasional Contributor III

After uninstalling and reinstalling my Oracle instant client I cannot open projects any more.

I can create new projects, but as soon as they shall open - stuck.

The software gets stuck on the 'Opening Project' message and that is it. I thought it might be because of some favourites that link to Oracle databases.

Hence I went into the directory for the favourites, deleted the respective sde files and for the sake of doing it clean I also edited the 'Favorites.json'.

However, it did not help. Other software, such as R or FME does not have problem to use the Oracle instant client...

I went the Windows way, uninstalled ArcGIS Pro and installed it again (including patches). Still, no changes.

How do I get my software working again?

- We are living in the 21st century.
GIS moved on and nobody needs a format consisting out of at least three files! No, nobody needs shapefiles, not even for the sake of an exchange format. Folks, use GeoPackage to exchange data with other GIS!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

What bit level was the previous client and the new client?

What version of Oracle instant client used to work and what it the version now?

Was there a reason for updating the instant client?

Geodatabase

--- George T.
0 Kudos
TomGeo
by

Reason for updating the instant client was that VisualStudio was returning errors when I tried to build a database connection. The error was raised in connection to 32bit client to 64bit development.

In the path variable the reference was pointing to version 12.1 of the instant client. That was the only reference to an Oracle client in the environment variables (user/system).

However, there was also version 12.2 of the instant client on the system but not in use.

The 'new' client is the 64bit version of 12.1.

I was somehow expecting that ArcGIS Pro is 'purged' from the system when uninstalled and the fresh installed software is making the connection to the instant client from scratch.

GIS moved on and nobody needs a format consisting out of at least three files! No, nobody needs shapefiles, not even for the sake of an exchange format. Folks, use GeoPackage to exchange data with other GIS!
0 Kudos
George_Thompson

As long as the 64-bit version of the instant client is first in the path variable, ArcGIS Pro should work.

This is how my path variable looks. Now I am using the 64-bit full Oracle client and 32-bit Instant client.

C:\app\client\<user name>\product\12.2.0\client_64bit\bin;C:\instantclient_12_1_32bit

Are you using EZConnect for the connection string (i.e. Server/SID)?

If that does not work, I would recommend a call to Esri Technical Support to have an analyst take a look.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
TomGeo
by

I somehow solved the issue by clearing the local cache. Again, something I would expect the software to do during the process of uninstalling.

Since I did not change anything with relation to the Oracle client, but was only clearing the cache of ArcGIS Pro I assume the culprit here was not the Oracle client but ArcGIS Pro with some hiccup.

George_Thompson

What process did you use to clear the ArcGIS Pro cache? I am just curious.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
TomGeo
by

In 'Options' of ArcGIS Pro in section 'Display' is the path for the local cache given and below a checkbox to clear the cache. That is what I did after some time searching through the possible settings.

George_Thompson

Thanks for that information. It is an interesting find.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
kmsmikrud

Hello,

It looks like you both have very good knowledge of Oracle clients and the different environments. I was hoping you might provide some direction. 

Currently I have the Oracle 12 Client (12.1.0.3) installed on my local machine so I could connect to an Oracle database via ArcMap. Now I would like to connect via ArcGIS Pro, but I get a connection error because I'm missing the correct client for ArcGIS Pro.

Could you provide guidance for how best to install the 32 bit and 64 bit Oracle clients on my local machine so I can connect to the database thru both ArcMap/Pro?

Also I want to create map services on the GIS Server but also need to install the client(s) on that machine. Is this a different client than the ones used for ArcMap/Pro?

Thanks in advance for your help!,
Kathy 

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Hi Kathy - Once you have the 32-bit client installed for ArcMap, you can install the 64-bit client for ArcGIS Pro/ArcGIS Enterprise Server

Connect to Oracle from ArcGIS—Help | ArcGIS Desktop - For ArcGIS Pro/Server (64-bit applications)

Note: You do NOT have to install the 32-bit client is only ArcGIS Pro and/or Server is installed on the machine. You only have to install the 32-bit client for ArcMap or other 32-bit applications.

--- George T.
0 Kudos