ArcGIS Pro 2.2.0 and Python Package Manager

Jump to solution
06-27-2018 11:00 AM
MitchHolley1
MVP Regular Contributor

I updated to Pro 2.2.0 today and noticed the default python environment is now read-only.  The previously downloaded packages I had were wiped out with the new update.  I need to get the package, spyder, back into my environment.  So, I cloned the arcgispro-py3 environment in order to make the install. 

Notice that the window says, "Restart ArcGIS Pro for your environment changes to take effect."

So, I clicked 'Exit'. 

After the program restarted, I no longer have a cloned environment to select.

Can someone please help?

112 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Which goes back to my earlier post "I'm waiting for a fix"...  Seems like a fix should be available asap?!

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

UC is a few days off... I am sure that it might be addressed by then... or during keynote

I have a number of old students going so they will keep me informed from the ground 

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

My section manager is going to UC as well; she will be poking the bear too....

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Joe:

Do you know if this response from ESRI means that this bug is fixed in a patch for Pro 2.2 or in the next major release Pro 2.3?  The answer you received from ESRI does not make this clear.

0 Kudos
MatthewDriscoll
MVP Alum

It does not appear to be fixed in 2.3.

0 Kudos
MichaelAugust
Occasional Contributor III

Dan - can you talk to me like I'm 6 here for a second, hah - even if I can install packages directly thru conda, thus circumventing the package manager -- isn't the default environment "read only" now (2.2) for a reason? Would modifying it result in problems down the road?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I had to install spyder during beta... no problems... I also installed jupyter console and jupyter notebook and a bunch of other things.  No 'pinned' issues.

When Pro 2.2 (non-Beta) rolled out, I got to practice doing it all over again... this time it took me all of 5 non-waiting minutes to get it done.

I have been working all along as people wait until a 'fix' is made to the cloning.  Unless you are way out there in terms of python modules, anything in the Anaconda suite is pretty safe.  If things go 'south', conda is pretty smooth about removing stuff.

So in short... until they install spyder, jupyter console and jupyter notebook by default... you can either wait until someone else fixes stuff, or install your IDE now.

The worse case scenario??  What is your? I have none

0 Kudos
LoganPugh
Occasional Contributor III

Not sure if it's been mentioned but cloning via the interface in Pro does work if you give it enough time. It seems to let you exit the interface prematurely, resulting in an incomplete clone. But if you wait it works just fine. I assume that is part of the bug.

DavidHoy
Esri Contributor

How long are we talking, 2 minutes or 60 minutes?

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

To follow up on Logan's … when you clone from conda, you can actually see what is going on so you won't shut it down early

0 Kudos