ArcGIS Pro 2.1 | How to change reference scale in Annotation Feature Class?

Jump to solution
05-25-2018 08:56 AM
VincentLaunstorfer
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I knew it was going to happen!

In ArcMap 10.5.1, once labels converted to Annotation Feature Class in a FGDB, it is posssible to change the reference scale in the Properties. It is an unusual function as alignement might appear... However, very handy in certain situation.

In ArcGIS Pro 2.1, I made a map at scale 1:900,000 and edited all annotations. Unfortunately, I just discovered that my map fit my page at scale 1:1,000,000 !!! Is there any way to change the reference scale of an Annotation Feature Class stored in FGDB? Or should I wait for Pro 2.2?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
10 Replies
VincentLaunstorfer

Hi,

I recently upgraded to ArcGIS Pro 2.2.

Unfortunately, the functionality I was asking above, I mean changing the reference scale of an Annotation Feature Class stored in FGDB, is not implemented in ArcGIS Pro 2.2.

I'd like to approach the problem differently. Is it possible to access Annotation Feature Class properties with arcpy in Python in order to write a simple script to change the reference scale? This would solve my problem until ESRI implement this functionality in a future release...

Here is the functionality that was available in ArcGIS 10.5:

0 Kudos
VincentLaunstorfer

Fantastic! And there is even a tool in the Annotation toolset:

An overview of the Annotation toolset—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Although, the change Reference Scale is not accessible from right-click Annotation Feature Class Properties (greyed out), as shown below, thus my question initially...

Many thanks!

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Dan:

Would this tool run on annotation that was imported into an aprx file from an mxd, but the annotation was not upgraded for Pro?

Is the screenshot provided above available in Pro from annotation that is imported from ArcMap?

If you start with a reference scale of say 1:1,000,000 and run the Update Annotation Reference Scale tool to be 1:2,000,000, would the Reference scale be updated in the Annotation Properties box shown in the screenshot?

0 Kudos
VincentLaunstorfer

Hi,

The screenshot I shared above is with Annotation created in Pro (not imported from ArcMap). Also, the tool documentation states in the Usage section :

"Before an annotation feature class can have its reference scale updated, it must be upgraded to the current release using the Upgrade Dataset tool. "

Update Annotation Reference Scale—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

And I believe the Reference scale would be updated in the Annotation Properties

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the info.

I was able to go through this process on a copy of the annotation from SDE in a file gdb.  The real issue is that once upgraded in SDE, the annotation is no longer even readable in ArcMap and my org cannot just flip the switch and move all work to Pro so this is sort of a temporary showstopper.  Another ESRI user unfortunately got burned by this issue and can no longer use annotation in their ArcGIS Server mapservices (A lesson learned from other GeoNet contributors which is one of the great benefits of GeoNet).

If ESRI could at least make the upgraded annotation readable in ArcMap, that would be a much quicker and easier more forward towards a migration to Pro.

Robertson_Katherine
New Contributor II

UpdateAnnotationReferenceScale isn't included in the Cartography toolbox, through the geoprocessing window or the python interface.   Only ConvertLabelsToAnnotation.  Is there something I need to do to load it?  

ArcGIS Pro 2.1.0.10257 Advanced

0 Kudos
VincentLaunstorfer

Apparently, the Update Annotation Reference Scale is in the Cartography Toolbox:

And the Code Sample from the tool section shows an example:

import arcpy arcpy.cartography.UpdateAnnotationReferenceScale

Is it not working?

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Katherine:

You siad "UpdateAnnotationReferenceScale isn't included in the Cartography toolbox"

This might be the case because you are at version 2.1.x.

Do you have the ability to upgrade to 2.2.x?

0 Kudos