ArcGIS Pro 2.1 (Geoprocessing Broken)

04-09-2018 05:51 PM
MichaelKnapp
Occasional Contributor

I'm hoping this is something simple. After updating ArcGIS Pro to 2.1, Geoprocessing Tools are not working. 

On opening a project, I get this message:

The path, however, does exist. 

I've uninstalled and reinstalled a few times (including ArcGIS Desktop) to no avail. 

Basic command line Python in Pro is working, but no toolboxes show up:

Any ideas?

Thanks!

m knapp

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It looks like there is a disconnect between where pro is installed and your setup.

C:\...install...folder...\Resources\ArcToolBox\Toolboxes

I use C:\ArcGISPro for my ...install...folder...

is your really installed in the 'users' local folder?

You should have an ArcGISpro-py3 environments folder in your install path. is it there

C:\...install...folder...\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3

0 Kudos
MichaelKnapp
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Dan, 

Yes, my install folder is

"C:\Users\mknap\AppData\Local\Programs\ArcGIS\Pro"

then my arcgispro-py3 folder is here

"C:\Users\mknap\AppData\Local\Programs\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3"

0 Kudos
MichaelKnapp
Occasional Contributor

Would you suggest that I simply try and reinstall into "C:\ArcGISPro" or similar?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

uninstalling and reinstalling might not be all you need to do.  You may need to reset your application profile, if none of the attempts worked.

I prefer simple paths and avoid c:\program files... and c:\users... but I work in a single user environment, which may not be your case.

Does python work in that environment? or do you use it?

0 Kudos
MichaelKnapp
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Dan..... I had no luck with resetting the application profile or doing a reinstall of 2.1.

However, I was able to install version 2.0 (which I had never done before), and everything works fine. 

So, perhaps there was an error with my original installation of 2.1, and the remnants of it are hiding somewhere (not a very technical explanation, I know). 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

When you now run Pro.. it should report that there is a newer version.  Hopefully if you update it from there, things will go well rather than relying on a direct install of it.

if not... then you have a workaround until the mystery is solved

MichaelKnapp
Occasional Contributor

I tried doing the update from 1.4 to 2.1 directly from ArcGIS Pro, and that didn't work. My installation of 2.0 was a clean install. I'm getting prompted for the 2.1 update, but am going to hold off until I can get some work done before giving that a try. Thanks for your responses tonight. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Something vaguely reminds me that an update from 1.4 to 2.1 wasn't possible, but I can't put my fingers on it quite yet.  

I will update when/if I find it again.

Yes... get some work done before you upgrade, just in case.

0 Kudos
Todd_Metzler
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

1.  Set stage (my information source environment) Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 user profile as system administrator.  Other MS Windows environments should be about the same. Esri default installation path to desired toolbox: C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\ArcToolBox\Toolboxes.

2.  Upgrade from Pro 1.4 to 2.1 does work.

3.  Observe your installation path is non-standard.  Recommend Esri "out of the box" paths.  Likely to have file access permission problems if user/installer changes paths.  Dependancies may be disrupted between executables/modules in application software.

4.  Check for existance of other Python instances/utilities on same computer.  If exist, suggest getting rid of them (except those packaged with ArcGIS Desktop).

5.  Check your scripts for correct paths to python.

6.  Keep it simple, use default installation paths and check permissions for your user profile. Also, depending on your enabled information protection features, executables may not run for user and/or executable type/location.

7.  Many variables here.  Many possible causes.  Liist above just a suggested starting place.