Arcgis Pro 2.1.2 crashes on adding map

05-12-2018 10:44 AM
GrantRawson
New Contributor II

Using 2.0 works fine but upgraded to 2.1.2 and every time I try to add a map it crashes the program.  I can start a new project just fine but if I add a map to the project it crashes.  Trying to open an existing project works until it tries to load the map and it crashes.  Anyone else have this problem, any ideas how to fix it?  Thanks!

Update with crash info:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: ArcGISPro.exe
Application Version: 2.1.2.10257
Application Timestamp: 5a84cc5d
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.24094
Fault Module Timestamp: 5abee643
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00000000000477df
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: ea45
Additional Information 2: ea454aa00619beedeb934c2d8eee85f1
Additional Information 3: 5042
Additional Information 4: 50424bf581dfe7ba602b81c57dd334dd

0 Kudos
19 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Kory, in the case when there is a file too large to email, does Esri have an easy-to-use alternative to drop these files (like an ftp specifically for error reports)? I often find that my error dump does not get sent due to size reasons. (Not to hijack this thread...)

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Adrian, 

If you go to that ErrorReports folder and look at the size, how big are the .dmp files you're seeing?

So you're seeing a message that it can't be sent through the web service?  When you say you've tried to email, you mean as described here: Report software errors—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

"By default, error reports are sent to Esri through a web service. However, if you don't have Internet access when the error occurs, you can attach the report to an email and send it later toArcGISErrorReport@esri.com. Error report files have the extension .dmp and are saved to the application data location on your local hard drive, typically C:\Users\<User Name>\AppData\Local\ESRI\ErrorReports. The 10 most recent reports are saved."

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Kory,

Nearly every time I get a crash and try to send it through that popup box

(this one:

The dialog box for a serious application error

),

I get a message saying that it is too large to send so I have to email it instead. Looking at my last 10 reports, some are around 20 MB. 

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Adrian, just messaged you.  Let's get your email and I'll set up an ftp.

Thanks

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Thanks Kory, I responded.

0 Kudos
PabloLopez-Hilfiker
New Contributor

Was this issue ever resolved? My program gets stuck every time I try and open a scene or a new map. It gets stuck with the following bar scrolling across as if it is actively working on opening a new map, but nothing happens. I have tried both a repair and an uninstall/reinstall.

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

One thing I would recommend is updating your GPU video driver.  Go to Device Manager->Display Adapters and note the make/model of your video card.  Go to the manufacturers website, download and install the latest driver.  Does the issue persist?

PabloLopez-Hilfiker
New Contributor

Ok, I think I'm able to narrow down what is causing the issue. It's not the act of opening, but it is the act of drawing or adding anything to a map. I can create a new map with no basemap (empty drawing) and everything works fine. As soon as I add anything to it (create empty feature class, ESRI basemap, shapefile), then the program goes into an endless cycle of processing (most options are greyed out in the menu).

Not sure if that helps narrow down what the issue is at all.

0 Kudos
PaulMillhouser
New Contributor II

My problem was ultimately resolved when Intel updated the driver for its

integrated GPUs. You might want to completely remove the current driver

for both your integrated and discrete GPUs, then apply the new drivers

(one GPU at a time!).

Workaround: Before I was able to correct the problem, I was able to run

Pro by disabling either the integrated or discrete GPU; apparently the

issue has something to do with confusion in choosing between active

GPUs.

Good luck!

VicRomero
New Contributor

Am having the same problem. ArcGIS Pro 2.3.2 crashes when I try to create a local scene or a global scene. The error message has to do with ntdll.dll. I ran a system file check. All files passed. No files corrupted. I re-installed ArcGIS Pro. Same results.

0 Kudos