Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro 2.0 | Why ArcGIS do not refresh when deleting fields?

01-29-2018 05:21 AM
VincentLaunstorfer
Regular Contributor

Hi,

In ArcGIS Pro, every time I delete fields, either with the Geoprocessing tool Delete Field or in the Fields -> Design view, deleted fields do not disappear from the session! Messages indicate that fields were dropped but they still appear in the Field Design view... And if you try to re-create these Fields with Add Fields, the message tells the fields already exist!

For the time being, the only workaround I found is to restart ArcGIS Pro to "refresh" the session. It looks like a bug!

Anything wrong with my approach?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
Deactivated User

Work as designed in PRO 2.1

VincentLaunstorfer
Regular Contributor

Dan, it worked that was. Thanks

But if you use the geoprocessing tool Delete Fields and perform the same field deletion, it does not work. The Field -> Design view still shows the field as if it was still here, just like if the geoprocessing operation was not committed or saved. This is illustrated below:

And if I rerun my model, I get the error "OPERATOR already exists. Failed to execute".

Deleting by hand in the Field -> Design, it works. But with the geoprocessing tool, it does not. No really good for chaining geprocessing on ModelBuilder.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
Deactivated User

I think the issue may be that in modelbuilder (and perhaps in a script), the 'state' of the data are not updated until the process that was using it is 'done'.  I suspect if you really need a ... 'refresh'.... in modelbuilder. 

Or you need to check .. if the field exists, recalculate values for it... if it doesn't exist, add the field, then calculate values.  There is a section on condition checking in modelbuilder... (ps... so much easier to do stuff in python... sorry)