ArcGIS Pro 2.0 | How to author map symbols?

10-18-2017 09:11 AM
VincentLaunstorfer
Occasional Contributor III

In ArcGIS 10.5.1, for producing printed maps, I usually right-click layers and "convert features to graphics" in order to edit symbols in cluttered area. In addition, instead of converting into Annotation Groups in which there is no control on ordering, I "convert features to graphics" into empty Annotation Feature Class, stored in my project File GDB. It works well.

In ArcGIS Pro .aprx projects, unfortunately, Annotation Groups (formely stored in .mxd with ArcMap) do not exist. I thought I could still convert features to graphics in Annotation Feature Class with ArcGIS Pro but I cannot find any function to do that. I am stuck!

In ArcGIS Pro, there must be a way to "convert" symbol to graphics for editing? At least I would expect the equivalent of Cartographic representation but I cannot find it either. And Cartographic representation usually needs a Standard or Advanced license.

Any help is very welcome

24 Replies
MarcelSt-Germain

Hi,

Maybe I'm out but, do you mean have a pictogram that you can display and move in the map?  If so, I use labeling and, use a background pictogram now just in Callout in pro.

To do so, I'm putting a text with only a point and, no color and 1pt of size.  The problem in pro is they remove the hability to directly edit the pictogram.  You have to use the style and, import in callout.  After that, when in annotation, you can move it, display or not etc.

Be carefull, I import mine from arcmap but, in pro, It could be problematic.  Since pro can't manage caracters pass 128 in export, you can open any export in adobe without an error message.  Since you can convert in vector when exporting, like in arcmap, this limitation is to take in count. 

VincentLaunstorfer

Thanks.

In ArcMap, I used to convert my symbols as graphics but not stored in graphic layers but in Annotation Feature Class instead. It was a workaround but I did it for years and I could store my symbols into FGDB.

Because graphic layers do not exist in Pro, I was stuck. But I did not think about that way, I mean to use Point Callout for symbols and convert into labels stored in Annotation Feature Class. It did work! And symbols look editable, possible to move around... I will try to make a map like this and see how it goes.

Really appreciated!

0 Kudos
MarcelSt-Germain

Just remember to make your pictogram in style first, since the callout picto is not editable in Pro, an I'm sure it will work for you to.

Please to help you with that

0 Kudos
VincentLaunstorfer

Hi,

Just upgraded to ArcGIS Pro 2.5 yesterday.

For your own information, the point symbol Callout in the Labeling Properties now has options to edit a symbol. It does not have to be stored in Gallery beforehand.

(could not attached screenshots!)

MarcelSt-Germain

Thanks, 

Just upgrading now. Yes, "Format point symbols"

Still frustrating to have to be in 2.5 to see some basic function present in arcmap finally available. 

Maybe one day, Pro will be of full use to cartographer like me.  

0 Kudos