Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Desktop 10.6.1 With Oracle 12c R2

11-06-2018 05:13 AM
AshrafMousa
Emerging Contributor

Rex RobichauxKrishna Gummuluri Wes Goldstein faced an issue with ArcGIS Desktop 10.6.1 (ArcMap, ArcCatalog) trying to connect to non gis database (external database) which we need to perform join and related on.

When we try to add the connection (Add database connection in ArcMap) using the EZCONNECT we receive error message (ORA-0933 SQL Command not properly ended). We tested the connection using SQLPLUS and it is connecting without any issue. the same connection parameters were tested in windows 7 with ArcGIS 10.3.1 and it is working fine.

We investigated the issue with the DBA and found that the user that we use to connect to the external database has the following privileges: CONNECT, CREATE SESSION, SELECT ANY TABLE which means it should be sufficient to establish the connection but it seems ArcGIS 10.6.1 requires more permission to be granted.

When we grant the user CREATE TABLE, CREATE SESSION, CREATE PROCEDURE, CREATE TRIGGER, CREATE SEQUENCE the user was able to connect without any issue, however we can not grant this user such permission on non gis database as this user is a readonly user to the external database.

My question: is there any changes implemented in 10.6.1 regarding user permission connecting to other databases from ArcGIS Desktop? If yes what are the required privileges that should be granted for that user as readonly access. 

Our environment is:

1. Windows Server 2016

2. ArcGIS Desktop 10.6.1

3. Oracle Client 12c R2 (x32+x64) installed

I appreciate if you can help me in this.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Is there a solution to this issue of connecting to a non-gis database with only read-only privileges?  Will ArcMap 10.7.x have this same requirement when connecting to a non-gis database as my org is skipping ArcMap 10.6.1 and upgrading to 10.7.x whenever that is released by ESRI?

0 Kudos
JariSiiskonen
Esri Contributor

Hi, using ArcGIS Pro (currently available 2.2.4) could be one option.

0 Kudos
JariSiiskonen
Esri Contributor
0 Kudos