Append new features to existing layer with Geoprocessing Minimum Bounding Geometry

Jump to solution
10-14-2021 07:49 PM
Labels (3)
BrianOberdorf
New Contributor II

I want to catergorise a sewer and water network into sub networks, each of which contains a large number of feature classes.

To do this I was going select all the gravity mains for example and create a bounding geometry (convex hull).  I was then going to apply set parameters to all the feature class records in this bounding geometry.  I wanted to keep the bounding geometries in the same layer for the future.

Is it possible to run geoprocessing commands and get them to APPEND to an existing layer, rather than overwrite it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Minimum Bounding Geometry (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

produces a new featureclass.  You can append subsequent runs together if you use different names, but that would be a separate step. 

If you are looking at appending information from the convex hull layer into other layers, then you would be looking at a spatial join or some other overlay operation

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Minimum Bounding Geometry (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

produces a new featureclass.  You can append subsequent runs together if you use different names, but that would be a separate step. 

If you are looking at appending information from the convex hull layer into other layers, then you would be looking at a spatial join or some other overlay operation

... sort of retired...