Select to view content in your preferred language

Append from Excel to Feature Dataset not matching

01-15-2024 08:10 AM
Labels (3)
DaveBodak
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I am looking to update a feature layer that has pre-existing data in it and I have an Excel datasheet that I imported into ArcGIS Pro that contains more data to be implemented.

Both the table and the feature layer have matching "Account ID" fields that I am referencing in the "Update Options" Section, but it will not add any data to the appropriate fields when I run the processing tool.

I know I have the source fields pointing to the correct column in the table because when I don't try to use the account fields for targeting it will add another 15,000 data points in the feature layer.

Thank you in advance to anyone for help!

DaveBodak_0-1705334926716.png

DaveBodak_1-1705334951544.png

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

The Append tool is for adding (Apending) additional data to an existing dataset.

Sounds like you want to update values in existing features based on a table.  One way is to use the Add Join tool to temporarily join the table based on Account ID field, then use the Calculate Field tool to update the existing columns from the joined table.

R_

RoderickPerendy
New Contributor III

Hello Rhett,

Then why does the append tool have the Update Options and Matching Fields? 

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

Looks like they've added that as an 'upsert' option.

I must have misunderstood your original post, and thought you were trying to update attributes based on a common field, not add new features to the data at the same time.  So, suggested an appropriate set of tools for that operation instead of one that has now added that functionality to it as well.

I will have to play with these options in the future when I get time and see what I can find out.

R_

0 Kudos
matt_g_g
New Contributor II

I'm experiencing a similar problem but trying to update a feature class from another feature class using a common field. It seems to add records if there are changes rather than update the existing record with the common ID.

In the case you've explained, is the data type seen as the same by ArcGIS Pro, i.e., the xlsx Account ID is a double or float and the data type in the feature class for the matching field is the same type?

0 Kudos