Anyone Else Seeing an Explosion of *_gdal.sqlite Files in %TEMP%

12-18-2017 11:50 AM
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I recently re-imaged a PC to Windows 10 x64 Enterprise Edition.  After re-imaging, I installed ArcGIS Pro 2.0.1 and no other ArcGIS Desktop components (ArcMap, ArcCatalog, etc....).  Sometime after a week or so of installing Pro, I noticed thousands and thousands of *_gdal.sqlite files in my %TEMP% folder.

I cleaned up my temp files and just figured it was tied to the install.  Within 48 hours, I had ~2,500 files back, and I never even launched ArcGIS Pro in that 48 hours!  I tracked the files down to the ArcGISIndexingServer.exe process.  I know there have been some memory-usage issues with that process, FAQ: Why does the ArcGISIndexingServer.exe use a high amount of computer memory? , but I haven't seen others talking about this issues.

The fact that this is a newly re-imaged machine with a clean install of ArcGIS Pro is what has me scratching my head.  My machine is about as default as it ever will be, so I want to understand why either the process needs to create so many temp files or why it doesn't clean up after itself.

If others check their %TEMP% directories, how many *_gdal.sqlite files are there?  If there are some, how many have been generated in the past day or so?

Thanks, Joshua

0 Kudos
25 Replies
JohnSobetzer
Frequent Contributor

Perhaps Kory might suggest there could be problems, but renaming the indexing file in the bin folder worked for me. You lose indexing of course, but I always considered it a resource hog of little use.  I've had no issues since doing this with 2.1 or 2.1.1 although I will note I primarily use ArcMap instead of Pro. 

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator
deleted-user-sYHsW3p_gN5o
Occasional Contributor II

Awesome! Great job to the Esri dev team!!

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Looks like this bug is back? I never really followed up with this, and the 2.1.2 release notes are no longer available. And with https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2019-9937just coming out.....

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I do recall checking back in 2.1.2, and it was fixed, but I also haven't checked again recently.  I will have to poke around and let you know if I am seeing the same thing.

0 Kudos
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor

This was an issue in 2.2 and is still an issue in 2.3. I can't upgrade to the latest 2.4 to test, we're reliant on IT to package and roll out and we only recently got 2.3.

0 Kudos