Annotation feature class to Annotation stored in the map

04-16-2021 01:00 PM
Labels (2)
KariBuckvold
Occasional Contributor

In Desktop, I used to be able to use the 'Select Elements' tool copy features from an annotation feature class and paste into an annotation group stored in the map.  This was super helpful since our base annotation layers though helpful, needed to be further arranged specifically for each map and therefore always needed to be copied into a mxd's annotation layer and arranged to meet the map's need.  

I'm trying to replicate this process in Pro and I can't seem to find a way to do.  The only way to select a feature class annotation feature is to use the select features pointer.  There doesn't seem to be a select tool that will recognize both FC Annotation and graphic elements like desktop.

Also, one of my colleagues noticed that when you import an mxd into a Pro map, the map annotation does not import.

Please tell me I'm overlooking something really basic for creating an annotation stored in the map group!

KariBuckvold_0-1618603615860.png

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Unfortunately, map annotations are not supported in ArcGIS Pro. You can create annotations in geodatabase only (Standard, and Feature-linked), in ArcGIS Pro.

Annotation 

Biggest Hurdle Migrating to ArcPro - Labels 

Think Location
0 Kudos
KariBuckvold
Occasional Contributor

wow, I am floored by the discontinuation of this very useful feature of map annotation.  Like the person in the other post, it does not make sense to have hundreds of feature classes of essentially the same feature class but created specifically for one layout.  Well, maybe if we make enough noise, ESRI will realize how much of the legacy desktop tools folks really used. Like "Map to KML", seriously, how could they have just taken that away????

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The closest functionality I can think of, is Text Map Notes.

Text map notes are annotation feature classes that are added as templates to the map. These annotation feature classes are stored in the project's geodatabase.

Give it a try.

Think Location
0 Kudos