Amazon cloud storage connection doesn't display shp and fgdb in Pro catalog

Jump to solution
02-12-2019 12:53 PM
BrettMarraccini
New Contributor II

ArcGIS Pro 2.3

Added cloud storage connection to AWS, I can now see our bucket contents in the Catalog explorer when I expand the (.acs) connection.

However, only rasters (tif/jpg etc) display as items I can add to the project.

Shapefiles do not show, only their associated .shp.xml files. File Geodatabases do not display either, they show as folders which, when expanded, are empty. 

I have verified that the shapes and fgdb's are live, not corrupt - they can be read in Desktop 10.4.1

What gives?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Only rasters are currently supported.

What’s New in Imagery and Remote Sensing (ArcGIS Pro 2.3) 

ArcGIS Cloud Storage Connection files

ArcGIS is powered by a scalable and optimal information model for managing large volumes of imagery: the mosaic dataset. ArcGIS Pro 2.3 now enables you to make direct connections to cloud stores and to work with imagery natively as image layers in your project.

The new ArcGIS Cloud Store connection (ACS) file allows you connect to cloud stores directly, browse buckets/folders and access imagery in your project. AWS, Azure, and Alibaba are the currently supported cloud stores.

Create Cloud Storage Connection File—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Summary

Creates a connection file for ArcGIS-supported cloud storage. It allows existing raster geoprocessing tools to write cloud raster format (CRF) datasets into the cloud storage bucket or read raster datasets (not limited to CRF) stored in the cloud storage as input.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AndrewKeith3
Occasional Contributor

I am having the same problem, any resolution to this?

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Only rasters are currently supported.

What’s New in Imagery and Remote Sensing (ArcGIS Pro 2.3) 

ArcGIS Cloud Storage Connection files

ArcGIS is powered by a scalable and optimal information model for managing large volumes of imagery: the mosaic dataset. ArcGIS Pro 2.3 now enables you to make direct connections to cloud stores and to work with imagery natively as image layers in your project.

The new ArcGIS Cloud Store connection (ACS) file allows you connect to cloud stores directly, browse buckets/folders and access imagery in your project. AWS, Azure, and Alibaba are the currently supported cloud stores.

Create Cloud Storage Connection File—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Summary

Creates a connection file for ArcGIS-supported cloud storage. It allows existing raster geoprocessing tools to write cloud raster format (CRF) datasets into the cloud storage bucket or read raster datasets (not limited to CRF) stored in the cloud storage as input.

0 Kudos
AndrewKeith3
Occasional Contributor

I was looking at this documentation, maybe next release.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/projects/connect-to-cloud-stores.htm

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I see what you mean, but the wording of that sentence is odd to me.  Is it just a typo and they meant to say "file geodatabase" instead of "geodatabase file?"  If the latter, what is a geodatabase file?

Fundamentally, Esri really needs to clearly document "ArcGIS-supported cloud storage."  My idea of clearly documenting is having single page that lists them, not scattering them throughout the documentation.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I submitted the following documentation bug: [BUG-000121415: The 'Connect to cloud stores' documentation must be re-worded to clarify that the functionality is specific to raster data and does not support connection to other file types in the cloud.]  Thank you for pointing out the confusion on this topic.

WarrenMedernach
Occasional Contributor III

I just stumbled across this Cloud Storage Connection today, so thanks for the clarification Kory.

Sooooooo, is it on the roadmap for this feature to support all of ESRI's file based datasources?  That could be a game-changer for many organizations I would think...

Warren

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Thanks for the feedback, Andrew.  We'll take a look at the help to try to clear up confusion.

0 Kudos
BrettMarraccini
New Contributor II

The link Andrew provides above is exactly what i was going off of.  "geodatabase file" sounds a lot like a generic term for "any file that can be stored in a geodatabase".  Product documentation clarity FTW.

0 Kudos
BrettMarraccini
New Contributor II

Kory Kramer‌ - Thank You.