Address locator doesn't always work when using street types

08-10-2020 09:28 AM
melisahansen
New Contributor III

When trying to search for intersections sometimes its doesn't work when you have the street type in the search, but if you remove it, it does fine what you're looking for, and as you can see below, return the correct street intersection with the correct street types, it just doesn't allow you to actually search with the street types. I have not found any consistency on when this is occurring, like character count, etc. What is causing this? 

0 Kudos
16 Replies
melisahansen
New Contributor III

Seems to be, but not sure why.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I know this is back and forth, and back again, but if you create your address locator in arc catalog, does the problem exist with it as well?  I'm just trying to whittle it down to the specific culprit...

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
melisahansen
New Contributor III

The issue does exists when creating it in catalog. So far it has only worked with using the create locator tool in pro. 

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Melisa:

For the intersection in question are you able to show what the values of the street components look like in the reference data (prefix direction, street name, street type, suffix direction)?

melisahansen
New Contributor III

The intersection in question looks like this: 

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

What's interesting is that I can reproduce the behavior in Pro 2.6 with a classic locator built with the Create Address Locator tool, but cannot in ArcMap 10.8.1. A locator in Pro created with the Create Locator tool does not exhibit this behavior. I do get results when I map city when building the locator with the Create Address Locator tool and use city in the search for the intersection when street type is included in the street names for the intersection. Perhaps there is some issue or difference with 'Match with no zone' in Pro versus ArcMap. We'll need to do some additional investigation to understand why this is behaving this way in Pro.

That being said... Melisa, is there a reason you cannot move forward with using the new StreetAddress locator in your workflow versus the classic locator?

melisahansen
New Contributor III

Thanks Shana! I did move forward with just the StreetAddress locator.

0 Kudos