Address locator built in ArcGIS Desktop equivalency issue

09-21-2021 06:07 AM
JohnNergeBrooklynPark
Occasional Contributor II

I noticed some unexpected behavior with an address locator I built in Desktop when using it in Pro.

Locator specs:

• US Address - Dual Range style
  • Built in Desktop 10.7.1
  • Single city reference data

The unequal behavior between Desktop and Pro is that, in Desktop, it doesn't matter if you use Single or Multiple Field when providing the input address field. Both settings work fine because the locator only asks for one input field either way. However, in Pro, the locator will only successfully geocode if you use the Single Field option. If you use Multiple Field, Pro will run the tool, but all records will be returned as unmatched. Same as in Desktop though, the Geocode Addresses tool only asks for one input field, so the requirement to select Single Field seems unnecessary, and it caused some confusion since it didn't matter in Desktop but did matter in Pro.

I filed this under questions, but really it's more of a suggestion that the Geocode Addresses tool in Pro should work with either input address field type when the locator only asks for a single input field regardless of the setting.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

@JohnNergeBrooklynPark What are the geocoding option settings of your locator? Did  you build the locator in ArcMap with city or zip code? Are the addresses in the table being geocoded in multiple fields or a single field? Do the addresses include city or zip code?

Do you experience the same behavior with a locator created in Pro with the Create Locator tool using the StreetAddress role?

0 Kudos
JohnNergeBrooklynPark

Geocoding options attached. No city or zip codes used since this is for a single city. They are being geocoded from a single field.

I'm not sure if I built something truly comparable in Pro, but what I did build (same reference data, using the streetaddress role you suggested), worked with Single or Multiple Field inputs. But (as expected) the locator built in Pro is not usable in ArcMap.

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

John:

If you publish the StreetAddress role locator created with the Create Locator tool to ArcGIS Sever, you will be able to use the locator in ArcMap as a service. You would have to compare the field mapping and settings between the 10.7.1 locator and Create Locator tool locator. If possible, I would suggest transitioning your locators created in ArcMap with the Create Address Locator tool to building locators in ArcGIS Pro using the Create Locator or Create Feature Locator tool. You can create a single locator that references more than one feature class, use suggestions in the Locate pane w/o publishing the locator as a service, specify up to 50 custom output fields that are returned in the geocode results to name a few of the enhancements you can find in the new locators. 

0 Kudos
JohnNergeBrooklynPark

I fully acknowledge that ArcGIS Pro is the future. But I, like many customers, are also looking at a  necessarily long transition away from ArcMap. We can live with this behavior as a known issue until we can fully migrate to Pro, but full forward compatibility would still be a nice to have.

0 Kudos