Address does not match but then it does in rematching

06-10-2021 11:57 AM
Labels (3)
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Using ArcGIS Pro 2.7.2 and a composite locator.

I'm seeing what I feel is odd behavior when geocoding. (See image below).  This address 9113 W MAGNA MAIN ST initially shows as unmatched, but there are two 100% match options available to me.  What's up with that?  I sure would hate to plow through 3500 'unmatched' records just to find out they really are valid...

@BradNiemand 

JoeBorgione_0-1623351404663.png

This problem I've mentioned in the past has reared it's ugly head again, where you adjust an address in the Single Line Input field, only to be bounced back to record #1.  The strangest thing about this is yesterday I didn't get this problem, and today, using the same locator but a different file of addresses I am...

EditAddressProblem.gif

and towards the end of the day...

Notice  the address 3215 S Valley St went unmatched yet I can use the find tool with the locator I used (CityWorks2) and it hits on an address point...I have the locators set to Match With No Zones = YES....

JoeBorgione_0-1623364984479.png

That should just about do it....
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

@JoeBorgione What I'm suggesting is that you build a locator w/o any zones (city, jurisdiction, zip), then geocode the table of addresses using Single Field for the input address fields. This is the recommended workflow when your input addresses don't have zones. There have been improvements to the locators built with the Create Locator tool since you could first build them in Pro 2.3. Below are my results where all 84 were matched.

ShanaBritt_0-1623966689696.png

If your input addresses have zones or an address could fall inside of multiple zones, it is best to build the locator with zones and batch geocode the address with zones or input the partial address and select the suggestion.

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

@JoeBorgione Any luck with a locator built without city, state, or zip and geocoding with a single field?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Hey @ShanaBritt - sorry, been going other things but I’ll give it a try sometime!

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

@ShanaBritt   ...geocode the table of addresses using Single Field for the input address fields.  Ah ha.  I see what you mean now.  Single field, and not parsed address fields.  I can do that.

...the recommended workflow when your input addresses don't have zones.  I didn't know that; is that documented somewhere?

I'm just shutting things down for the week, but I'll try to do some testing next week and let you know.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Dusting this off  @ShanaBritt ...

...then geocode the table of addresses using Single Field for the input address fields. 

I misunderstood what you are suggesting here, thinking that I should create a locator with a single field of reference.  When ever I geocode a table, that table has one field: ADDRESS and all the values are in the form of:

1234 S MAIN ST

4576 S MAIN ST # 101

I may have Null values here and there, but they typically are all filled correctly:

JoeBorgione_0-1626380978074.png

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

@ShanaBritt :

I am unable to replicate the problem now.  The rematch process works just fine.  I cannot explain it but I did do a re-install of ArcGIS Pro 2.7.2 because I encountered some problems after installing 2.8.  Maybe I had a bad install?  Stranger things have happened.

Some good news though: I believe I have isolated the problem when rematching and it returns you to the first record after you make an edit to the Single Line Input  Just now I tried to rematch a selected set of records, and I was bounced back to #1 when  ever I made an edit.  If I clear the selection, I can adjust the Single Line Input and continue along.

The data I am trying to geocode has tons of records where the ADDRESS field is Null.  If I first geocode the entire table I get something like 3500 unmatched records.  I then select where ADDRESS is not Null and that leaves me with only 270 to rematch.  That's manageable, but not so much if I'm constantly getting bounced back to #1.

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

@JoeBorgione Just tying up ends here since you mentioned the jumping back to #1 in the Rematch Addresses Pane here, which is in our plans to address and can be tracked with BUG-000141513.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

@ShanaBritt  I knew I had mentioned it more than once, but I'm at a loss as to how to search for posts I start.

0 Kudos