Adding Raw CSV data and once in GIS data is corrupted

05-10-2021 07:20 AM
GISDepartmentMFM
New Contributor III

Good Morning All,

I am working with a set of parcel data that I obtained from a local government. I downloaded the data and unzipped the file so it could be used in ArcPro. Upon adding the data into my map, a certain amount of the data like parcel numbers seems to be corrupted and I end up with a bunch of parcels with the same ID number, when each parcel should have its own ID number. I  am not sure if it is an ESRI issue because the raw data seems to be fine in excel but once I look at it side by side, excel and the attribute table, the attribute table repeats the same parcel ID several thousand times. 

If anybody has any tips on this I would greatly appreciate the help. I have tried to export the table from GIS back to CSV and still getting the repeating data issue. I have also tried breaking the data into increments of 50K and use table to excel tool and the problem still persists. 

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If the parcel ID values are lengthy, please ensure you are viewing the whole string, and not a part of it (Drag the particular header width-wise).

Also check if the length of the field is sufficient.

It would also help us to review the data, if you could share a sample data. Screenshots will also help.

Think Location
GISDepartmentMFM
New Contributor III

I am viewing the full string of the Parcel ID number and all the data types are not conflicting (i.e number to text field)

I did also attach two images of the raw data and the exact same data after adding it to Pro, and exporting it back to a csv. in the images after the yellow line is where the parcel IDs begin to repeat.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Could you check with the department if the source of the parcel data shapefile is correct?

If the department has the correct parcel data, you might ask the department to share the data again.

In case the size of the shapefile is huge, I would recommend getting the data as File Geodatabase Feature Class.

Think Location
GISDepartmentMFM
New Contributor III

I will check with them and see what thy say. They ended up providing me a joined parcel file but I will have similar issues when it comes time to do an update of the data.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I would recommend bringing both the parcel data (No Join) and the table to File Geodatabase. Then, execute the Join.

Think Location
0 Kudos