Adding permanent service/db connections in ArcGIS Pro

02-03-2017 09:16 AM
EricEagle
Occasional Contributor III

We are slowly loading ArcGIS Pro on our office network - one thing every single person has asked is: How do we "permanently" add service or database connections that persist *across* projects?

I understand what it means to work on a project basis.  However, there are certain services that will apply for all projects done in a professional place of business; namely, an office's own enterprise geospatial database.  Is it possible for this to be done?

8 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I second this.  We have a dir each of all our sde files, our toolboxes, layers files, etc.  Now every single time we open Pro we have to add them all in.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I believe ESRI's answer to this is to create a template project with the enterprise connections already added so these connections are always available when someone creates a new project.

0 Kudos
EricEagle

Michael, thanks, found the how-to for that.  It'll work, sort of.

I still consider this insufficient, because whenever one wants to add an enduring connection, one cannot merely add it, but has to reload and resave a separate template project, re-distribute it to a team, etc.  I feel like the move away from the catalog workflow was sort of developed and decided upon in a vacuum.  I hope some aspects of Catalog make a comeback in future point releases, and that this is just Esri's version of Windows 8's Metro interface.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Eric, if you haven't already, you should vote up this idea

https://community.esri.com/ideas/12671 

0 Kudos
AZendel

Another downside to this template approach is the mess of files that it creates in every project that you create from a template:

I regularly connect to SDE via a number of sde connection files.  While I use only one of these connection files 80% of the time, we do have others for test databases and to connect as a specified user for admin tasks.  We also use some SQL Express geodatabases for large datasets and that connection isn't shown above because I haven't bothered putting it into my project template yet.  Remembering the correct URLs, Oracle instances/services, usernames and passwords for all of these connections makes having to create a new connection for each project a considerable hassle.  The ArcCatalog approach is much better here. ESRI, please give us this option.  

0 Kudos
AbiDhakal

While project specific databases and folders are excellent, the need to have templates to retain permanent connections to enterprise databases and folders, and as well as services are paramount.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

If I understand the original issue correctly, the answer would be to add your connections as Favorites, and for those that you want added to any project that you create, mark those with the Add To New Projects option: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/projects/project-favorites.htm#GUID-BFED0E28-B2EA-4FAB-AD57-A...

Here is a related blog that might help: https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/data-management/data-management/arcgis-pro-tips-this-might...

0 Kudos
AbiDhakal

Thank you Kory, it will certainly help. Add to favorite, add to new project, and additionally creating blank project templates with all the connections would help.

Thank you again!