Add Folder Connection causing ArcGIS Pro crash

08-12-2018 01:48 PM
dfwgw
by
New Contributor II

Anyone else having this issue?

The program crashes after attempting to add a folder connection in ArcGIS Pro 2.2. Once the folder is selected, the program disappears with no error or crash message.

The CrashDump File included this message on the debugging response:

Unhandled exception at 0x00007FF98B41E77E (ucrtbase.dll) in ArcGISPro.exe.8912.dmp: Fatal program exit requested

Dump summary includes

exception 0xC0000409

Windows OS build 10.0.17134

CLR 4.7.3160.0

ArcGISPro 2.2-2.2.1

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

This is for sure a case that will only be resolved by tech support. Are you submitting the dump files? FAQ: Where are the ArcGIS crash dump files saved when an error report is generated? 

In addition, is your video card driver updated to the latest version? What type of folder connection? Sever?  Network Share? If so, where is the server? Local Hard Drive? Thumb Drive? How is the folder secured? Active Directory? Novell? (ArcCatalog - Cannot connect to Novell Drives from Windows 7 , https://community.esri.com/thread/214240-arcgis-pro-memory-leak )

0 Kudos
dfwgw
by
New Contributor II

The problem occurs specifically with local C:\ folders. All drivers are up-to-date. 

I will follow up by emailing the .dmp file to ArcGISErrorReport@esri.com and report back.

0 Kudos
ChuckLopez
New Contributor III

Hi GW Turner. I am experiencing the same issue. My ArcGIS Pro 2.2.2 crashes when attempting a folder connection to either my system drive (C:) or any mapped drive on my LAN. I have submitted a ticket and have sent a.dmp file. Was your issue ever resolved? What did you do?

0 Kudos
dfwgw
by
New Contributor II

Charles,

A modify/remove/re-install of ArcPro 2.1-2.2 resulted in the same problem. The solution involved wiping the OS clean of applications/settings using the Windows "Fresh Start" option and reinstalling ArcGIS Pro.

Thankfully, I have yet to experience the same error. Still waiting on a response from tech support...

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Did you upgrade Pro on the problematic machine from a version that had issues connecting to a root drive folder?  Maybe there were remnants from that Pro version on your machine that remained on your machine until you did the OS cleanse, which was causing this issue.

0 Kudos
ChuckLopez
New Contributor III

GW,

I ran the latest version of Process Monitor from Sysinternals Suite and have been watching it when launching ArcGIS Pro to see if I might notice anything while I would try to access a folder. After filtering quit a bit I caught an operation which produced a  buffer overflow result which might be a clue. However, I do not know how realistic it may be since my filtering restricted the result simply to buffer overflow. In any case, I will try your suggestion of uninstalling Pro and the scrubbing the OS before reinstalling.

BTW I have an open ticket with Esri and I am passing this info onto them.

Thanks & best regards,

Chuck

0 Kudos
ChuckLopez
New Contributor III

GW,

I would like to update you that I resolved the issue with Pro crashing its sessions on my PC. The reason was pilot error, namely myself. I had previously modified my system variables by placing Python 2.7 in 'PATH' & “PYTHONPATH”. By directing the system to use Python 2.7 I assume I was interfering with ArcGIS Pro from using Python 3.4, hence the crashes. That is , by removing the explicit system directs in “PATH” and “PYTHONPATH” Pro could find Python 3.4 and stopped it from crashing.

I used “Process Monitor” from Sysinternals Suite to analyze the processes running when ArcPro would crash. I also used “Revo Uninstaller” and “Microsoft Fix it” to clean up after uninstalls of Pro to eliminate any chances of left over things from interfering with fresh Pro installs when I was troubleshooting.

I hope this gives you any insight into your experience with Pro. Also, I informed tech support and closed my ticket.

Regards,

Chuck

0 Kudos