Add Database Connection - Container is Empty

05-17-2019 07:44 AM
MikeO_Shell1
New Contributor II

In a map, in the Catalog pane I am able to successfully add database connections and then add that data to a map.  However, there is one in particular that allows me to add a database connection, but when it appears in the catalog and I click on the drop down arrow nothing appears.  When I Add Data to the map I see that database connection, but when I click on it nothing appears and I get "The container is empty".  Default is selected, but when I choose Layer Files and Packages and some other types the Aerial Imagery geodatabases appear (it is a raster of aerial imagery by the way), but it also says "The container is empty" and I cannot select any of them.  I'm not sure what the issue is an would appreciate any help.  I have attached a screenshot.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JonathanFarmer_oldaccount
Occasional Contributor III

Mike,

Looks like it may be SQL Server. Are there other database in this same instance that you can connect to and view data in Pro? 

If this is specific to this one database, have we ruled out a permissions issue? If you try this same workflow on another machine with Pro, does this behavior still occur?

If we can narrow the behavior down a bit, it may help. If this is specific to your install of Pro and everything looks good from the database side, a repair or reinstall of Pro could do it. But I wouldn't do that until we ensure this really is an issue with this Pro install.

Jonathan 

MikeO_Shell1
New Contributor II

Thank you.  It does seem like it is specific to this one database.  I was able to successfully connect and use other databases.  But the database in question is one I use all the time in Desktop, along with the other two databases that were successful in Pro.  I'm attempting to see  check the behavior on another PC with Pro.  We are just getting into Pro, so I'm basically the guinea pig right now.

0 Kudos

Mike,

Can you connect to this database in ArcMap and then screen shot the contents? If you can connect to other databases on this same instance from Pro (this same ArcGIS Pro client), then it can't be a SQL client, permissions, or other issue (I'm assuming you are using the same user to connect to this database and it has the same permissions on this database as the others?).

Maybe if we can see the contents, something will stick out as an issue.

Jonathan 

MikeO_Shell1
New Contributor II

Jonathan,

Thank again for the help.  I did a screenshot from Desktop where I selected Add Data and then selected that database connection.  I then did two screenshots from Pro.  One with the default data type selected (says "This container is empty"), and the other with "Layer Files and Packages" selected (shows all of the files that is supposed to, but also says "This container is empty" and nothing is there when you select any of them).  Also, I tried all of this on a different laptop and I get the same results.   

0 Kudos

Thanks Mike! I don't think the screen shots made it here as attachments, could you try again? You can also paste them into the body of your message as well.

0 Kudos
MikeO_Shell1
New Contributor II

Sorry.  I guess it helps to attach documents.

0 Kudos

I'm not sure why you aren't getting this error but I think this is your issue:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/projects/00219-raster-catalog-layers-are-not-supported.htm

Are these actually raster catalogs? Pro sees them that way it appears. Can you see mosaic datasets in that same database in Pro?

MikeO_Shell1
New Contributor II

That seems to have been the problem.  Thank you!  I had a mosaic and brought that in and it worked.