Add data error

Jump to solution
06-02-2022 03:51 AM
BrentRogan
Occasional Contributor

Hello

I get the following error when i try to add a shp file to a map

BrentRogan_0-1654157628770.png

I get this error only when i try to load the shp file from a network drive.  If i copy the files to my PC I can add the map. 

This what what I know

1) shp file is ok as it can be loaded from a local source and it will appear on the map

2) i used to be able to load it from the network drive a few months ago and it stopped.  I just worked around it as i didn't have many shape files to load so it wasn't a problem. Now, i might be loading lots of shape files, so it will be a pain, plus data integrity issues etc

3) I can add the folder to the to the database and see all the shape files in the folders where the shp files are kept.  It won't load from here when i drag the shp file to the map either.

BrentRogan_1-1654157881911.png

4) I can add other data from the network folder to the map and not have an issue.  The other data is an xls file while contains point data (lat/long).

Hope someone can help, thanks

Andrew

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BrentRogan
Occasional Contributor

Figured it out.

Turns out that even though I could see the file on the network drive it hadn't sycncronised correctly and i hadn't noticed.

The files are uploaded by field users in other parts of the country and i add them to the map.  Dragging the shp onto the map or going the long way and clicking add data etc was not syncing the file on the drive.

I have to sync all three shp files for it to work

BrentRogan_0-1654202659687.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JohannesLindner
MVP Frequent Contributor

Can you please make sure that all the necessary files are there? See this article: Error: Failed to add data: <shapefile name>.shp (esri.com)

Have a great day!
Johannes
0 Kudos
BrentRogan
Occasional Contributor

These are the files I can see in the folder.  As far as I know they are the correct files.  I check some data from last year and its the same three file types in the folder back when it worked from the network drive.  I even tried to copy a shp file from the network drive from last year and got the error message.

If I copy the three files to the local drive it works fine

BrentRogan_0-1654162342530.png

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I wonder if the shapefiles on the network drive are corrupt for some reason as it seems when you make a copy of the shapefile local on disk, it works as expected.  I'd recommend examining some of the workflows here to determine if you have corrupt shapefiles.  Then repeat the workflows in your original message.  Does the error persist?

0 Kudos
BrentRogan
Occasional Contributor

Figured it out.

Turns out that even though I could see the file on the network drive it hadn't sycncronised correctly and i hadn't noticed.

The files are uploaded by field users in other parts of the country and i add them to the map.  Dragging the shp onto the map or going the long way and clicking add data etc was not syncing the file on the drive.

I have to sync all three shp files for it to work

BrentRogan_0-1654202659687.png

0 Kudos
RachelGomez
Emerging Contributor

Simple INSERT statement to add data to the table. Use INSERT Statement to add multiple rows in the table. INSERT INTO SELECT clause to insert the output generated by the SELECT query. INSERT IGNORE clause to ignore the error generated during the execution of the query.

Greeting,

Rachel Gomez

0 Kudos