Add attachments from individual folders in ArcGIS Pro

01-27-2021 08:22 AM
Labels (2)
JasminBrinovcar1
New Contributor II

Hi Everyone,

I want to start by saying that I have little-to-no coding experience. I was asked a question by a user and I think the answer is that it's not possible, but I don't want to rule out the ability to get the job done with coding (if it is indeed possible). 

I am working on creating a GIS-based method of performing property inventories (400 properties). We use collector to fill out information and take photos in the field, which works great. However, my user has asked me to see if it is possible to also add attachments from folders on our network as she wants to include other images and documents related to each feature.

We are inventorying over 400 properties and it is likely that each of them would have several additional documents. What I want to know is if there is a way to create 400 individual folders and tell the software to add every document from the individual folder to the corresponding feature? 

For this amount of information, it is not feasible to have all the additional documents in one folder, as the add attachments tool suggests. 

Here is my train of thought:

• create key field in attribute table - give each property a number (1, 2, 3, etc)
  • create parent folder and then create individual folders named  "1_123 Road Rd" , "2_124 Road Rd" , "3_125 Road Rd"
    • each folder will have several documents that need to be attached to the feature. File names and types will vary.

I tried creating a match table with this set up, and I get the warning that "cannot open File", which makes sense because I pointed it to a folder, not a file. I am not sure where to go from here, if anywhere.

Is what I'm trying to do possible? 

Thank you!

Tags (2)
1 Reply
KevinOKeeffe
New Contributor II

Hi Jasmin, I know you posted this a while ago but I am looking at doing something very similar and just wondering were you able to find a way of uploading the photos automatically?

0 Kudos