Select to view content in your preferred language

AcrGIS Pro 3.0.2 will not open Excel files

10-31-2022 04:29 PM
Tntimber
New Contributor

Hello everyone. I am unable to import an excel sheet to a map, or even view it in the Catalog without ArcPro 3.0.2 freezing up. I am also unable to open a project that includes an excel sheet. The issue seems to be ArcPro having compatibility issues with Office 365.

I did not have this problem until updating to 3.0. I have followed ESRI's instructions on how to fix the issue many times, but it still doesn't work.  The only way I am able to use excel or open projects is to uninstall all office applications. As soon as I reinstall Office, the problem comes back. Obviously, uninstalling and reinstalling programs when I need them isn't a feasible workaround.

Note, I currently have Access Database Engine x64 (silent install) and .NET Desktop 6.0.1 Runtime x64 installed, as well as the 64-bit Office 365 package. I do not have ArcMap installed.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am not discounting the possibility that I may be doing something wrong, but it shouldn't be this difficult.

With all due respect, please do not tell me to read ESRI's instructions on working with Excel or installing drivers for excel as I already have these memorized. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

Just to check.  There has been some confusion in the .NET Desktop runtime and some have installed the .NET runtime (not the Desktop).

Also, seems weird that you have to do the silent install for the Database Engine unless you have 32 bit office installed.  Did you get error when trying to use the x64 installer?

R_

0 Kudos
Tntimber
New Contributor

Thanks for the response.

That is correct, it is the .NET Desktop.

I thought that was weird too, but that was the only way I could get Arc to work. I did not get an error message doing the regular install. However, even with all Office apps uninstalled, I was only able to get Arc to load an Excel sheet after doing a silent install.

0 Kudos
JeffreyROLAND
New Contributor III

I am having the exact same issues as the original poster. I have read about and installed the necessary drivers based on this: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/excel/prepare-to-work-with-excel-in-arcgis-pro.ht...

I have even done the silent install of the 32 bit Access driver(I have ArcMap 10.x on the same machine even though my Office is 64 bit.) I also have the 64 bit Access driver installed. I have both the .Net drivers installed. I've rebooted and still cannot load an Excel file into a project in ArcPro 3.02

My only hesitation is that the directions say that you need to install these things "prior" to installing ArcGIS 3.0. If this is true, then do I have to uninstall 3.0 and then reinstall??? Who on earth is going to know to do this???

This just seems like a colossal mess-up. There should have been stern warnings before installing ArcPro 3 that these needed to be installed. Most people will just install the update from directly from ArcPro without knowing that they are in a world of hurt if they use Excel files in any capacity. 

0 Kudos
Tntimber
New Contributor

I did the same thing. I opened ArcPro and got a prompt to install an update, so I did. 

Nevertheless, at the moment I have gotten it to work. Although, I can't really explain how I did.

Apparently, it is true; the third time is the charm. After uninstalling all office products and all ESRI products and reinstalling them three times, it miraculously worked with Excel again. I'm sure in a couple days excel files will no longer work again.

I wish I had a better explanation, but I guess you can just do like I did. Keep uninstalling and reinstalling until it works. Honestly, if I wasn't required to use Arc I would go back to QGIS in a heartbeat.

0 Kudos
JeffreyROLAND
New Contributor III

Thanks for the advice. I will try this when I have the time. Unfortunately this will have to involve my IT department. ESRI could have avoided all this with a simple warning prior to upgrading. sigh.

0 Kudos